We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Way to Gili?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest Way to Gili?

Need you guys help!

Planning to go for Gili island this July. But i encounter with some problems here,

1. the direct access by boat is quite expensive (550,000rp, Lonely planet)? Has anyone had any idea how to get to Gili in cheapest way?

2. Do i need to book those resort in advance? it seem like July is peak period for Gili island.

3. Any recommendation for budget hotel on the island?

Hope to get you'all reply soon.

Many thnaks

Upinniemi
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Way to Gili?

Hi!

The speed boats are quite expensive about 1 000 000 rp return-trip.

You should contact Perama-travel agency in Bali, Kuta (on the main street near all hustle-bustle, just ask)to get cheaper boat trip.

Perama boats leave from Padang Pai coast village daily. The boat trip takes longer than Gili Cat speed boats which take max. 2 hrs.

I'd say it takes up to 5-6 hours to Gili Trawangan from Padang Pai; depending on the waves. Perama serves you a meal during the trip. And a transfer from Kuta to Padang Pai.

The price is max. 100 000 rp. (a wild guess; it's been two years sine I last took Perama).

About accomodation: I've been in the Gilis past two summers and the amount of travellers has really doubled in these years.

In 2007 we had no problem to get an accomodation straight from the counter, but 2008 it was almost hopeless. I got us a lousy room from Big Bubble by last minute call. Everything else was fully booked.

We finally got into our favorite accomodation after two nights in BB. But it wasn't easy to get a room (they knew us so it was an advance ).

I strongly recommend booking in advance or you'll sleep on the beach the first nights.

Note that the accomodation prices have gone UP comparing to the Lonely Planet 2007 prices.

You may easily double the prices of many places.

Recommendations: Big Bubble had rude service and they are very french-oriented, so if you're french you will probably like it, otherwise no.

I'd go for almost anything on LP, stay near the east coast action unless you want walk to the other end of the island (it's a hike in hot weather and pitch dark in the evening).

To avoid the noise of bars, do not book your place too close to Tir Na Nog-bar..it's open late in the morning.

Have a nice trip!!

2. Re: Cheapest Way to Gili?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:35 am, November 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gili Air