We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

Hi everyone,

I know that the ferry safety topic is well covered but I'm just wanting to put it into perspective. How does the GiliCat service compare with ferries in south Thailand?

My husband and I spent 2 weeks island hopping and used the ferries. It was the dry season and our 4 ferry trips all went off without a hitch. With this in mind I'm open to using the ferry service to get over to the Gili's.

We are traveling in mid June 2015 (I know super early planning) which is dry season so I'm hoping the same principle applies? Can anyone tell me how the Bali ferries compare to thai ferries?

Considering using GiliCat service as it is Australian owned, happy to hear recommendations of other reputable companies. Does GiliCat pick up from Seminyak?

Thanks in advance :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

They will pick up it is a fast boat as opposed to ferry crossings are subject to weather as always check on dat for weather conditions ferry is available but is an all day trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

Thanks for that :-)

Sorry should clarify when I say ferry I mean fast boat not local ferry.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

I've only done one speedboat in Thailand to Ko Kood and it was literally a speedboat, caught the traditional ferry back. Both trips were on flatt, protected waters and about 45 mins on the speedboat

The fast boats that go from Bali to Gilis off Lombok are not a speedboat, you simply couldn't do the trip in that sort of boat. They are enclosed and have the capacity to do maybe 30 knots. They have to cross around 60-70 kms of open, unprotected ocean which can have very large swells. Pregnant women, elderly and incapacitated are not allowed on these boats for good reason.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

have travelled on fast boats 3 times to gili T ,blue water express & gili cat , but SCOOT green boat out of Sanur is by far the smoothest, takes a wee bit longer and larger boat, not as fast as others but hey your on holiday , one way ticket cost 500,000 about $50.00 nz dollars, will be in Sanur and Gili T in mid June 2015 may see you on Scoot 2.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

In general you are going to get better sea conditions leaving from Padang Bai than Sannur or Benoa. This is because when leaving from Padang Bai some of the trip is on protected waters. It's also a shorter journey. If you leave from Sanur or Benoa you have to cross through some of the most dangerous water in the region near Nusa Penida. So if working on odds, Oadang Bai is the better options of course if the day happens to be calm then a southern exit won't cause problems

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Nusa Penida
Nusa Penida
Bali, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

Thanks every one.

Scoot looks like a good option. Happy to leave from Sanur/Benoa and save the traffic jam getting out to Padang Bai.

Kiki Gore, did you do the afternoon return trip with Scoot?

I'm less happy with an afternoon service as the crossing are rougher?

Thinking maybe coming back to Bali taking Blue water to Padang Bai.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
7. Re: Yes another Ferry question (sorry)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan