We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Broome, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Hey Guys,

I'm planning a trip over to gili T and was wondering which airport is better to fly into and then catch the fast boat from?( I have googled it but can't seem to find any of the companies that go from Lombok only the ones that leave from bali.)

Also the flight times are the same from perth but the flight into Bali is about 200 bucks (oz) cheaper, so how much is the fast boat from bail or is it cheaper from Lombok as the total price all up could be in the same.

Thanks in advance

Kel

planet earth
Level Contributor
402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Bookofkels, the weather forecast is not very reliable. I was doing the same thing a month ago watching several websites forecasts and each one said something different. In the end they were all wrong! We had some stormy days and some sunny days and some sunny mornings followed by thundery afternoons!! I also found it very hard to find a marine forecast for the area but you might have better luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Hi try this site, type in Tanjung, Indonesia or Mataram, Indonesia. It gave us pretty accurate weather predictions.

http://www.accuweather.com

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

b0rn2, you are spot on, unless you had a radar system with coverage over the Lombok Straight, you have NO CHANCE of seeing what is happening out there.

For the last maybe 5 days, from the small section of water we can see from Candidasa (CD) - where we can see the boats coming out of Padang Bai, speed across in front of CD and disappear behind the point (where they run between the CD point and Goat Island just off from CD). They continue on for a short while after this following the coast of Bali before heading away - into the "washing machine" (Lombok Straight) where they then head basically straight across to the upper mid east coast of Lombok.

We see (lucky enough to have a second story view across the water) maybe 10 min of your approx 1 hour trip - either at the start from Padang Bai or the end of your trip heading back into Padang Bai ... we have seen some crazy weather from our place where I would have put up a red flag and stopped the boats from going any further (out from Padang Bai) ... but still they keep going. Late last month was the first time we know of that they have stopped the fast boats from going due to the bad weather - they were stopped for at least a week, then only slowly seemed to have come back to normal. They were still going in REALLY BAD weather before they were stopped ... from what I have been told it is the harbour master at Padang Bai that can stop them - I am sure he was under pressure to keep them going, but very glad he decided to stop them (hope he keeps his job, he is saving lives by putting a stop to the stupidity where the ticket sellers and boat owners seem to have a complete disregard for the safety of people taking this trip - I have a right to say this based on my experience ~ see my post: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k… or: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1940487-i25043…

So, don't trust weather maps that really don't fully cover this area / this crossing ... the post asks the question, "Better to fly into Bali or Lombok" (in reference to getting to the Gili's) ... unless you are 100% sure of the weather (and during the wet season it is unpredictable), then stick to flying OR use the large pubic ferry (if going from Padang Bai) - then just get transport to the small jump over port where you can get a "good size fast boat" to take you across this short piece of water to the Gili's.

Regards, Geoff / Mr-Sinter / Mr Worrywart (just thinking of you arriving at the Gili's safely)

planet earth
Level Contributor
402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Mr-Sinter, I am jealous of the views you enjoy from your house ;0)

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Thanks b0rn2 ... yes, we are very lucky ducks !

Yesterday, we had one of the worst storms blow through Candidasa. We could look out and see it coming ... and come it did, the waves were just turning white, the wind blew VERY hard, the rain was coming straight at you, and across the water was just a whiteout. The conditions were worse than what we had with our bad boat experience ... I asked the gods here in Bali to protect the boats that were stuck out in it - it would have been absolutely terrifying to be out in what we saw ... and fast boats were stuck out in it ... about 30 min after it cleared, we saw them heading towards Padang Bai - there would have been people kissing the ground as soon as they got off for sure. Today I have not heard any bad stories, so the Bali gods must have looked after them.

planet earth
Level Contributor
402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

How was the ocean today? Have just read that 7 japanese tourists and their boat are missing from a snorkelling expedition off Nusa Lembongan...hope they turn up safe soon.

denpasar
Level Contributor
623 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

better option i think is by dropping in bali then goest to GILI , as bali (southern bali) has muc better things to offer than lombok, from bali to gili trawangan is around 50$ for return journet by fastboat, thats for domestic price, i think around 70$ for tourist

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Sounds like a bit of a sweeping statement Qures Y. I guess it all depends what you're looking for as to whether "Bali ( southern Bali ) has muc better things to offer than Lombok" . One persons idea of a good time could be another persons nightmare. At those prices for the boats I'd definitely be flying from Bali to Lombok for $30.

planet earth
Level Contributor
402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Yep, I would take Lombok over South Bali every time! Each to their own I suppose!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Better to fly into Bali or Lombok?

Haha. Me too bOrn2rOam and I haven't even been to Lombok yet. I'm impatiently counting down the days.

Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan