We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

Hi, is Gili Air really that much quieter than Trawangan? Which is the most beautiful island?

Also I've just been reading some posts.... are you saying the flights from Bali to Lombok are only $25? I haven't researched yet but that seems super cheap, why would you take the boat? Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

We stayed three nights at Kokomo Resort on Gili Trawangan, and also three nights at the Oberoi on Lombok. Loved the Oberoi. Wish we had stayed there the entire time and taken the boat to/from the Gili Islands for day trips. Kokomo was very nice also, but can be noisy if the bar next door has a party (like they did one night during the full moon when we were there). Kokomo gave everyone ear plugs to wear. I also would have considered a quieter island even though I believe there are better resorts on Gili T.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@killanigia - yes Gili T does have more upmarket resorts as it is the most developed of the 3 Northern Gilis. Gili T is decent enough to still offer solitude, peace & comfort in some places. We were there during Full Moon Party in July where it took place on the beach past the Irish bar.

Nothing like the parties on Thailand but the noise can reach just past Kokomo resort:

cruzworldtravels.com/gili-trawangan-2011-par…

cruzworldtravels.com/gili-trawangan-2011-par…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

freogal, thank you! Gili Air has the most amazing water, you are going to love it. Wish I was headed there on Sunday! : )

ireland
Level Contributor
203 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@franzchristophe - thanks for that. We are thinking of staying at Ombak Sunset. It seems that it's located away from the action. Would we be away from the full moon party in that instance? Is there a calendar of when the Full Moon party is held? We would be there in mid-Sept so I'm hoping we're clear of those dates.

If anyone knows of any upscale villas in Gili Air, I'm all ears. I've checked out Agoda, Booking.com and Airbnb.

Thanks.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@killanigia - Villa Ombak is on the west coast of Gili T so you will be facing away from the Full Moon parties in the south. It's hard to predict when the Full Moon parties are on Gili T, apart from when the islands is busy & there is a full moon. Keep an eye on the lunar calendar.

On Gili Air there are monthly Full Moon and Black Moon psychedelic parties held at the Space bar FYI.

ireland
Level Contributor
203 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@franzchristophe - thanks. I found a map of Gili T and I think we're actually really near it. Ombak Sunset is where we've booked in, not Villa Ombak. I'm going to email hotel and ask about it. But many thanks for highlighting it - up for a decent night out but I appreciate good night's kip these days too!

ireland
Level Contributor
203 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@franzchristophe - thanks. I found a map of Gili T and I think we're actually really near it. Ombak Sunset is where we've booked in, not Villa Ombak. I'm going to email hotel and ask about it. But many thanks for highlighting it - up for a decent night out but I appreciate good night's kip these days too!

Senggigi, Indonesia
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

I have been to Lombok / Gili's 5 times over a very extended period of time.

Do yourself a favour and hunt down Lombok Network.

They do all the hard work for a minimal price and get the very best prices on everything from travel to accommodation etc etc.

I have used them numerous times and they are fantastic.

ireland
Level Contributor
203 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@IanGreening2013 - thanks for that, will reach out and check against the DIY.

@franzchristophe - checked in with hotel, Ombak Sunset is away from the FMP action while Villa Ombak is nearer it. As we're currently booked into Sunset, we should be ok. No date available for the Sept FMP yet either btw.

ireland
Level Contributor
203 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Gili Air v's Gil Trawangan

@IanGreening2013 - thanks for that, will reach out and check against the DIY.

@franzchristophe - checked in with hotel, Ombak Sunset is away from the FMP action while Villa Ombak is nearer it. As we're currently booked into Sunset, we should be ok. No date available for the Sept FMP yet either btw.

Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan