We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Hi there,

We are hosting a wedding on Gili Trawangan in June this year and want to recommend to our friends and families the best way to travel to the island.

We travelled to the islands last year via one of the fast boats (I cant remember which company) and although it was unnerving we survived and had a wonderful time.

I cant seem to find any recent forums or answers about travelling to the island and would love some positive ideas/options to put forward to our party...

any suggestions regarding which companies are best these days and how they compare to flying would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank-you :)

46 replies to this topic
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Hi Jess,

Mr sunshine & I did decide to fly , we went with Lionair..

Easy,cheap,comfy & no dramas, no delays, I will always fly over for future trips.

We enjoyed the scenic drive thru Lombok .

We also stayed at Villa Almaric ,it was perfect for what we wanted.

San Rafael...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Hi all-

We were planning to take the fast boat and NOT fly. Do you have a recommendation on a reasonable company to use that is not super-expensive? I was quoted 450.000 pp on Eka Jaya fast boat, but they have very mixed reviews...

San Rafael...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

We were planning to take a fast boat instead of flying... But can anyone recommend a company that is reasonably reliable, safe, and well-priced. I got an offer for 450.000 rupiah per person on Eka Jaka, but the reviews of this company are really mixed, with some terrible experiences!

Let me know if you have suggestions.

Best wishes,

Devaa

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Eka Jaya is one of fast boat operators in this area. The others are Wahana Gili Ocean, Scoot, Semaya One, Ocean Star, Marina Srikandi, Gili Gili, and Sea Marlin, GIlicat, Bluewater Express, and maybe some other more.

Deeva, you may do search for them.

If you opt to take fast boat, you may consider fast boat that departs from Padangbai harbor (Wahana Gili Ocean, Ocean Star, Gili Gili, Eka Jaya, Marina Srikandi) as they have shortest sea route. But if you enjoy the longer sea trip you can choose Scoot or Semaya One, or Bluewater Express.

For safety matter, I'd prefer Wahana Gili Ocean / Gilicat / GIli Gili / Scoot / Semaya One / Bluewater Express. In fact, they are not much different in physical safety case, but the companies I mentioned are better in handling and service.

Flight is also good. Lion Air and Merpati provide more daily flight schedules than Garuda.

For transport from Lombok Airport to the harbor to GIli T, you can book a driver while in Bali or in your hometown. I think most of this drivers based in Senggigi or near Mataram area, which is far from the airport. That is, they might charge you at IDR 300.000 - IDR 350.000 for transfer (sometimes IDR 250.000 on the cheapest rate) because they need to take extra miles to reach the airport and should wait only for your arrival (consider the delay).

If you after the driver around the airport once you've arrived, they might charge you at lower price, probably IDR 225.000 - 250.000 because they already there, but typically they don't have some prebook system. Just looking for walk in passengers.

You can make an appointment with reliable driver or better, with reliable company. The company can arrange both car transfer and boat to cross to Gili T.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Everything above is well outlined by LombokReisen.

The Fastboat always should have the proviso added that they may be less comfortable than flying, they are certainly not as safe, either on a straightforward pragmatic level, or in terms of systemic matters.

Also the trip times are often highly optimistic, total point to point trip times often do not add up as well as some may hope or assume they will.

The Fastboats certainly lack the regulatory environment and scope that applies to the demands of Civil aviation operations with advanced aircraft types and heavily regulated airport operations.

There are several tourism service providers on the island that offer the assistance and services that LombokReisen describes.

He cannot mention it openly on these Forums of course, but he runs one such provider from an office base in Senggigi.

You can find his contact details here... http://www.lombokreisen.com/contact-us

There are also some excellent recommendations and testimonial on some guides and drivers here on these Lombok forums.

The search function on this page can be quite rewarding in that regard.

So always explore your options.

Some of those options offer some great service outlooks and provide visitors with a lot of flexibility and opportunity to enhance their visit to Lombok and the Gili islands.

Edited: 9:18 am, January 18, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

I have found this thread very informative but I'm still a little confused by ALL the options! I have been trying to search flights from Australia to Lombok but no airports are showing up. Also, is there an airport on Gilli T? Or do you fly to Lombok from Bali, and then drive to the airport, then take a boat to Gilli T?

I told you I was confused!

Can someone please write me a step by step? I would be forever greatful!

Edited: 5:49 pm, January 09, 2014
Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Hi Jess,

I can only offer advice based on my experience. Last year I was staying in Bali (for the 14th time) and wanted to visit Lombok for 3 nights. As it was the first time, I chose to travel by fast boat (Samaya One Cruise) to Lombok and fly (Lion Air Wings) back to Bali.

I’ll be visiting Gili T next month and will definitely not fly. If your guests have time to spare, then maybe flying is ok but last year it took me 6 hours from Lombok to Bali door-to-door. Firstly, the airport is a two hour drive from Senggigi, then the flight was delayed more than an hour (without any notice at the airport either on the board or by announcement). Then at Denpasar airport, I caught a taxi to Seminyak with a fool of a driver who decided to go via Kuta Central and Jl Pantai Kuta.

The fast boat may be more expensive but it is certainly quicker and I had smooth sailing all the way. If you do visit Lombok, you can’t find a more honest, polite and knowledgeable taxi driver than Mahsun on 62 81 917 095 591

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
229 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

If any of the guests are in WA Jetstar fly direct to Lombok from Perth. It might even be an option for East Coasters if there are flight specials to Perth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

If money is no object or for a special treat you can fly to Gili T via helicopter from bali.

there are luggage restrictions but it is a 45min flight!!!

One powerball........

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali

Whoops my dreams of a big lotto win got the better of me.... its roughly $300 per person one way!!

Reply to: Safest/best ways to get to Gili Trawangan from Bali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan