We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hello,

I will be visiting Bali and its surroundings in April for my honeymoon and I'm torn between Gili Trawangan and Nusa Lembongan. I know both are good options to get away from the hustle of Bali, but I still don't know which one is best.

- We are looking for the best beach for chilling and swimming.

- Good food, with some variety of both local and international.

- Stay in a beachfront villa, or within close walking distance, at a reasonable price (under $250 a night).

If you have any suggestions that would help me in my decision, please let me know. I really appreciate all the help!

Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Both are a good choice. I'm not sure how long you have, so you might want to consider the travel time to Gili T compared to Nusa Lembongan.

Nusa Lembongan is an island off the coast of Bali, and is quite quick to get to. Assuming you are somewhere near Sanur it is 30 mins by speed boat.

Gili Trawangan is a small island off the coast of Lombok, which is a large neighbouring island east of Bali. It takes several hours to travel to Lombok and/or Gili T, whether you go by fast boat direct to Gili T, or fly to Lombok then transfer by car then boat. The fast boat takes over 2.5 hours from Benoa (near Sanur).

So, you lose nearly a day in travelling time when you take into account the return trip. If you have the time, my personal preference is Gili T, or even Gili Air or Gili Meno. But I just prefer Lombok to Bali overall.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

i'd go gili trawangan. ive been a couple times and i liked it more than nusa lembongan.

the fast boat companies include transport to the ferry terminal. i catch the gili cat in padangbai. it is the shortest boat ride being the closest. the ride can be a bit rough. the bus picks you up in the morning at your hotel and you are in gili trawangan by lunch time.

google - gili cat or ferries to gili trawangan for latest fares and times.

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

I'd go to Gili Trawangan, there are two sides of Gili T. The east where the crowd gather, and the west have more privacy. I went there with my fiance, and stay at the west side. There is a new resort called Villa Queen, they are still new but they have reasonable price and nice privacy..especially during the sunset, can see Bali's mount agung.

There are two ways to go to Gili Trawangan. You can go from Padang Bay in Bali, it charges about Rp 600 thousand I think. It takes about 2 hours or so. Or you go from Lombok Airport to Bangsal and take public boat. Or you can ask the hotel to arrange it for you, cost almost the same but better security and hassle. I asked Queen Villa to arrange it for me, so I didn't really deal with the local. Just be careful with the local, they tend to overprice since we are tourist.

Hope it's help...enjoy your vacation.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hey Devin, thanks for the tips. I've been reading about this Villa Queen. Ive checked their websites but they dont have any "real" pictures of any of the villas. It looks like its still under construction. http://villaqueen.co.id/

Can you tell me how the villas are? Are they close to the beach?

Is it a far bike ride to the village where all the restaurants and bars are?

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hi Phillipe..when I went there on early December, there were still some construction with the pool, but I think it should be done by now...I agree with the "Real" photos on their website, I was a bit afraid at first but when I arrived at the hotel...they actually done a pretty good job..I stayed at their cottage, it's a room with ample bathroom with semi outdoor style..nice fresh water. I didn't have a chance to see the villa, but from the outside it looks very private with private pool on each villa...

The hotel located just opposite the beach, they provides are for sun bathing just in front of their beach..there should be some live music show at around sunset..

And yes, you can hire a bike to go to the central area...it's only about 10 - 15 mins I think..didn't count the time when I was there :)

By the way, you should try their coffee shop...I think it's the only place who serve good meals with better taste compare to other..don't even try the local food at the east area, it upset my stomach...I think it's a bit dirty, and quite expensive compare to the food they serve..

Edited: 11:04 pm, January 03, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Go to The Point Resort on Nusa Lambongan. Just stayed there for 2 nights, love to go back for a 4/5 day stay. Check out the reviews.

Gili Islands
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hi, this is Marcus from Manta Dive and Bungalows on Gili Trawangan. If you have the time i would suggest trying to visit both Lembongan and the Gili Islands. Scoot fast boat offers a jump on jump off policy, they depart daily from Sanur, direct to Lembongan. So you could stop off in Lembongan for a few days and then continue on to Gili Air or Gili Trawangan (they stop at both). See more info about the boat options here lonelyplanet.com/indonesia/nusa-tenggara/gil…

Flying from Bali to Lombok and then a transfer to the Gili islands now takes around 5 hours as the airport has moved south of Praya, so using the boat services is much quicker.

THe previos reply doesn´t rate the food , i just don´t thkkn they went to the right places, here are a few tips that will help on Gili Trawangan, Tir Na Nog - Irish Bar & Restaurant – Biggest Irish bar on the smallest island in the world! This ‘island favourite’ serves good food.

Kiki Novi – For the best local food on the Gilis you have to try the daily-changing menu at this simple warung, located in the heart of the Art Market. Ibu Rose and her family use fresh ingredients to conjure-up dishes like Urap-Urap, Pepes Ikan and Beef Rendang along with assorted vegetable dishes and curries; all served with a smile and a little sambal on the side.

Trinacria – Set-back about 50m from the beach (behind Wrap-a-Snapper) this Italian-run restaurant serves up some of the best wood-fired pizzas on the island.

Ko-Ko-Mo – Serving an eclectic mix of Asian and Western cuisine, such as home-made ravioli filled with mud crab and coconut to “Harvey” beef tenderloin from Western Australia, along with a mouth-watering menu of other delectable dishes, all prepared from prime quality local and imported produce. This is probably one of the more expensive places on the island, but certainly worth a visit!

Night market – For cheap eats under the stars you can’t miss the nightly food market that sets-up on the volleyball court in front of the art market. You can find everything from fried fish to nasi campur, Bakso and other local delicacies.

Karma Kayak – What better way to round off a beach day than to catch the sunset at `North Beach’ with jugs of sangria and a variety freshly made Spanish and Indonesian tapas. Great service, great location!

The Beach House – Another island favourite this eatery has one of the best BBQ’s around, with everything from freshly caught seafood to imported steaks and kebabs. Their menu also features a great selection of western and Indonesian dishes to keep all the family happy.

Ryoshi – For quality Japanese food look no further than the island’s first Sushi restaurant (franchised from Bali). Enjoy everything from Sake, Miso Soup and Tuna Panko to some of the tastiest Sushi and Sashimi this side of Bali

Hope that helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hi Marcus of MantaDive,

You have sold the islands well, as I am easily swayed by the promise of good food :) I've just booked to go to Bali again in August, so will definitely make a side trip to the islands this time.

If I spend 2 in Nusa Lembongan, then 3 in one of the Gili Islands is that enough? And also which of the Gili Islands is best?

Thanks

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

Hi candy from Sydney,

I think spend 3 in one of the Gilis is enough. We have many visitors doing so.

The most popular and most easier to get is Gili Trawangan. But several visitors prefer Gili Air or even Gili Nanggu (which is in the other side of Lombok island) for the nature.

But if you choose Gili Trawangan, you can also go to Gili Meno or Gili Air easily.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gili Trawangan or Nusa Lembongan?

We have stayed on Gili T for ten days amd we loved it. Check out our thoughts and pictures here :

fishandfeathers.nl/indonesia/…

Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan