We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast boats conditions April 2012

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Fast boats conditions April 2012

Curious as to what the seas conditions are typically like in April. We are planning on taking the fast boat from Bali to Gili T. We were looking at Island Getaway. Is 1,200,000 round trip per person accurate? Anyone have experience with Island Getaway? Any recommendations on other companies? Do we need to carry our own bags onto the boat? Do we enter in the water or dock? We will be on our honeymoon and this is our last 3 nights of a 23 day trip so we will probably have 1 large hard-case luggage and 2 carry-on size hard-case luggage, and 1 purse and backpack has anyone had luggage problems/allowance?

Thanks for any help!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fast boats conditions April 2012

In fairness, fast boats do not "sink frequently" but there have been 2 or 3 over the last 5 years that have got into trouble. Some are plagued by breakdowns.

I do agree that flying is the best option and my personal preference, however hundreds of people travel by fast boat between the Gili and Bali every week - many are left with terrifying memories, but they do make it.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fast boats conditions April 2012

Some have sunk in the past and I often hear reports of people being offloaded, transferred to an alternative service or delayed due to their boat suffering from mechanical problems or hull damage, including damage from striking a reef or other submerged or partially submerged objects.

Several have sunk in the past, however there has not been a large number of craft foundering. The risk of this will possibly increase as the current craft become older.

It should be understood that the Bali to Lombok sea crossing is across open water.

The boats being used are of lightweight construction and the hulls are either aluminium or fibreglass. They are powered by outboard petrol fueled engines.

As their operational life progresses their unsuitability to the task will no doubt become more apparent as ongoing stress on the hull frames and skin takes it's toll.

They often operate in quite challenging weather conditions that demand much more seaworthy craft and higher levels of operational skill and crew training. Fortunately the operators normally cancel or suspend services when the weather conditions are unsuitable however this can be hard to judge as it is sometimes quite changeable and a day with quite nice weather can present poor operational conditions due to sea swell and wind.

The mid-year period (such as at present) can well illustrate that.

The weather is really quite lovely, but the sea conditions for traversing the Lombok strait in a small boat are far less than ideal at the moment, this being due to the sea swell and changing wind conditions.

Edited: 11:15 pm, July 15, 2012
Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fast boats conditions April 2012

I am the op, we took the fast boat the second wk of april and it was perfectly fine! Way better than expected. I have taken the ferry in belize to the cayes and that was much worse, but totally fine too. I am so glad we didn't book our fast boat I advance, they wanted $1.2 return, we ended up paying $550,000 but actually saw as low as $450,000. We booked in bali on one if the poppies lanes.

14. Re: Fast boats conditions April 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, July 27, 2012
15. Re: Fast boats conditions April 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gili Trawangan