We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

Hi, Arrived back last night from Alua Miami Hotel & it looks like our 3yr old has the start of hand foot & mouth virus, as it was mostly full of families with young children has anybody else been affected??? Symptoms started night before we left with a high temperature and spots have appeared today.

15 replies to this topic
Eger, Hungary
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

Hi

We arrived back in the early hours today from Miami Ibiza. Our 11-year old doesn't show any symthoms of virus infection - although he didn't spend too much time at the pool area during our one week stay.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

We just arrived back from the same hotel. Our daughter contracted hand foot and mouth whilst we were at this hotel. Another 2 children that we are aware of also came down with it whilst we were there. After speaking to a local doctor he said it’s been common this year. Locals also informed us last year there was a massive out break in es Cana also. When speaking to the staff they confirmed there had been other cases but the manager got rather angry when confronted with our complaint denying any problem. Definitely put us off going back.

Edited: 1:31 pm, August 07, 2018
ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
3. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

google tells me that this is a virus spread by direct contact with someone who is already infected though symptons don't appear for 3 or 4 days after contact. presumably kids playing together at this hotel make enough contact to spread the virus? what measures do you suggest the hotel should take to prevent this?

mm

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

It’s is not just through physical contact. My daughter had no physical contact with any other children before she caught hand foot and mouth at the Alua Miami. It’s passed through coughs, sneezes, surfaces that have been failed to be cleaned properly and even pools that have failed to be treated correctly with the correct levels of chlorine. For the hotel to irradiate this problem they need to conduct a thorough investigation and scrub and treat everything that can carry the disease. It won’t be long before word gets out and it will affect the number of families visiting. Also a warning to families before arrival would be much appreciated so they are aware of the risks. We are yet to have a response further to our complaint we raised with Alua Miami and I very much doubt we will.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
159 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

I'm due to go to this hotel next week,& slightly concerned, is it still happening , because the latest reviews at this hotel don't mention a thing about it which seems very strange to me ?? Thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

We knew of 2 other ms under 2 when we were out there we got back 6th August. Not sure of the current situation. I tried to post to warn others but it would seem my post has not been published on here whilst other posts people wrote after my complaint have been so others may have found the same problem.

1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

My 16 month old son and I were also affected during our recent stay between 12th - 22nd August. I had a particularly severe case which spoilt the last few days of our holiday as I felt extremely unwell and had difficulty eating and walking around. Luckily my son did not seem to suffer at all. I did see the hotel staff thoroughly cleaning the communal areas regularly and I believe that it is very difficult to stop the spread of this virus. It would have been helpful if we were aware that there was an outbreak of this virus as we were unsure what we were dealing with for a number of days.

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

If this recurring virus is confirmed to Alua Miami, it suggests inadequate hygiene standards. That's worrying, we're staying last 2 weeks in September, our 4 year old has been struggling with an untreatable 'chest/cough virus' for 3 weeks, last thing she needs is another horrible lurgy. Wonder if it will be worthwhile drawing this to Jet2 Holidays' attention?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

We are just back from the Alua Miami. Aldocelt suggests inadequate hygiene standards. We found the hygiene and cleanliness of the hotel excellent. However, some of the guests left a lot to be desired ... not using the hand sanitiser available at the dining room entrance and not washing their hands after using the toilet, maybe this is how any diseases/infections are spread? Also many parents allowed their young children to wander around the buffet in the dining area on their own ... picking up and putting down food with their hands in some cases. Sadly this is not the fault of the hotel where I found the hygiene standards very good.

Jak xx

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
10. Re: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?

We have just returned from here also. We read the many reports of HF&M before we left and were surprised to arrive at the hotel to find no signage to this effect or even extra hygiene methods. After the 4th day my daughter came down with a raging temperature. Afternot eating or sleeping for a few days she is now covered in spots.

I reported this to hotel reception, they were doubtful I was telling the truth and stated that they had not had any other reports! I will be filing a complaint.

Reply to: Alua Miami... Hand foot & mouth..?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Es Canar