We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quad bikes and helmets

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quad bikes and helmets

Hi My son has just been pulled over by the police in Corfu for not wearing a helmet.. He said the hire company didnt give him 1.. The police took his driving license number and gave him a 360euro fine.. He hasnt got that kind of money on him and the police said it will go up after 10days.. He has spoken to a rep in his hotel who has told him not to pay it.. Im confused will the fine follow him back to England?? Thank you for any replies

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
England
England
United Kingdom
Wool Dorset
Level Contributor
151 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

No Helmet, No Insurance Cover

Equally importantly, you will not be covered by your holiday insurance or other insurance. It is the first question asked by insurers of the Greek police relating to motor bike mishaps: "Were they wearing a helmet" as Greek law requires you to wear a crash helmet on a scooter, moped, quad bike or motorcycle.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

That wasn't a very helpful reply! Seems very mean of the police because I know that application of the law is very lax out there, although strictly speaking I suppose they were correct. It's certainly a lot more than the UK fine which I think is about £60! What was the outcome Nikki?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

Well, sorry the reply wasn't what you wanted to hear but it's right so it's helpful. Even if the hirers didn't offer a helmet, your son should have insisted upon one. The Police have a very "take it or leave it" attitude about helmets and if they do pull someone over, it's always going to be a visitor rather than a local, not fair of course, but that's the way it is.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

The local police were clamping down this year on tourists not wearing helmets on quad bikes in the north of Corfu... so be aware for next year's holidays. Always insist on helmets!

Fi

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
302 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

The Traffic Police are certainly clamping down even during the winter period.......................

Red Traffic Lights

A wee word of warning, do not get caught by the Traffic Police here on the island going through a red light. Found out today (and no it wasn't me) that they are issuing fines of 700e, confiscation of car documents for 20 days and driving licences for 60 days..... if you admit to it and pay within 10 days its reduced to 350e plus the confiscation of car and licence documents!!!!!!!

Now of course one should never ride a red light. However remember it is another country. The "practice" of if the lights change but too dangerous to stop because of rain etc, drive through does not exist here. Of course locals may be seen doing it regularly but it appears even they are being done for it now.

6. Re: Quad bikes and helmets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Agios Georgios