We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical Greek Tarvena

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Typical Greek Tarvena

When we go to Skala we always hire a car for a few days to go around the island. In the past we have always stopped for lunch in villages such as Assos, Sami, Aghia Efimia or Fiskardo. However, this year we would rather stop for lunch at more 'out of the way' tavernas, not in the main villages. We wondered if there are any good suggestions? We will happily travel anywhere on the island.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
901 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Consider Kelari Taverna up in the hills in old Skala.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
566 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Try the taverna just alongside St. Georges sastle.

Good food and wonderful views.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

I agree with barry s the taverna at st georges makes the best cheese and ham toasties ( not very greek I know but we were on a coach trip and were limited on time) we saw other food coming out which looked and smelt great. The family that run it are so friendly and accomodating. AND try her cheesecake she makes it herself and it is to die for.... .

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

I agree try Kastro Taverna by St. Georges Castle usually have a special on as well there stuffed Peppers are fantastic also a Greek Ploughmans. All there home made cakes are divine

South Wales
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Thank you for all your replies . It is much appreciated! I do apologise for my dreadful spelling of taverna!! I was rushing & should have checked!

More suggestions welcome.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Try the sunrise in skala, head down to the beach carry on right past the metaxa bar and keep walking there a re a few restaurants along the way.... the sunrise is the last one you will come to. Doesnt look much on first impressions but take the plunge and go in. The brothers that run it are very hospitable and friendly and the sea food platter is great value at 19.00 euros for 2 and was delicious, we also had the greek salad and greek chips Very tranquil relaxing atmosphere with great views of the sea and other islands makes a nice change from the main street. Tina

Edited: 4:38 pm, July 19, 2014
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,303 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Hi trefin,

If you drive from Skala towards Sami, you pass through Agios Nikoalos. At the end of the village, right on a hairpin bend is a caravan/café/taverna. The owner makes lovely apple pie and also lemon pie. We often stop there mid morning so do not know what the lunches are like. But, if they are like the apple pie you will not be disappointed!

Bob

Jersey
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Try the taverna at Koroni Beach called Sesto, well worth a visit. The views are breathtaking and the food lovely.

South Wales
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Thank you all! I have made a note of your suggestions & look forward to trying them out!

Many thanks.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typical Greek Tarvena

Apple pie, chips, ploughmans and cheese and ham toasties? I think I would stick with Assos and Fiscardo to be honest.😄

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations