We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Skala.

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Skala.

HI,Can anyone tell me what it is like for driving from the airport to skala as we are thinking of hiring a car instead of getting a taxi,But it will be in the dark and we have never been to kefalonia and do not know what the roads are like for driving on.Thank you Sonia.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Skala.

Hi Sonia,

All of the main roads and most of the minor roads are fine. As far as the standard of roads are concerned it is no problem driving to Skala.

There are two ways to start your route and as it is dark I suggest this slightly longer route:-

At the T junction 200/300 metres out of the airport turn right towards Lassi. As you go through Lassi and climb a slight hill you keep right and then look for a sharp right down street called Souidias. If there are no signposts for Skala follow signs for Sami or Fiscardo until you reach a roundabout (the only one I can think of on Kefalonia).There is a petrol station at the roundabout. Go straight ahead at this roundabout(DO NOT take road to Fiscardo or Sami here!). The road you want will be signposted perhaps Skala or maybe Peratata. After about 20 km you need to fork right onto a minor road almost certainly from what I remember signposted Skala.This road is fine but does twist quite a bit.

Some others may suggest a different start to the route going through Metaxata but I think that route is a bit confusing in the dark on your first day.

If you have never driven in Greece before then a couple of points:-

1. Traffic entering the roundabout has priority (the opposite to the UK and most of Europe). However as you are taking first exit from the roundabout it should hardly affect you.

2. The Greeks know the roads and may well want to overtake. Just pull in if it is possible to let them pass.

Enjoy your time on the island!

Bob

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
747 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Skala.

Hi Sonia

I have always driven in Kefalonia - even when on my own with small children. I think I have only driven from the airport at night time once, and as long as you take it steady all will be fine. The roads are fine to drive on and I think there are only 2 roundabouts on the island. The route given above is great - just be aware that there are some fairly sharp bends on the route from Katelios to Skala so take it slowly. There are not many illuminated sections of the route except as you pass through villages if I can remember correctly. Hope this helps - have a great time.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Skala.

Just like to add to the above, watch out for the goats sometimes they dart out from the trees on the side of the roads.

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Skala.

We have not decided what to do yet,But from the information yous have given us ,it does not seem a bad option instead of a taxi.much appreciated thank you Sonia.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Skala.

longer route easy when dark and you cant miss Skala sign posted in English as well as Greek. WE always take that route in the day as love to see above Argostoli on the way to Lourdas.

6. Re: Driving in Skala.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Skala