We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Kefalonia

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Andover, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Kefalonia

Hi we have just booked 2 weeks in the Regina Dell at the end of July 2013, we are in our 40's and a 14 year old child. We are hoping we have picked the right place. Does anyone have recommendations for eating places outside? How far is it from tavernas, restaurants? is it in a good location? car hire? Places to visit? Thanks in advance

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Hi Ashlil'

I will let others offer advice on Skala itself.

We always hire a car for the whole holiday and collect it from the airport. If you are arriving late at night however some people find the drive to Skala a bit un-nerving.

Places I think a family with a 14 year old boy would enjoy. 1.Obviously some of the boat trips. 2. You can hire a boat with outboard - the best places (in my opinion!) are from Fiscardo or Agia Efimia. 3. Melissani and Drogerata caves. 4. St Georges Castle and the nearby mycenean tombs. 5. Assos and the castle above (arrive fairly early as there is not much shade on the walk up to the castle). 6. The drive over the mountains from Skala to Sami and then Antisamos beach with some watersports (and free sunbeds in 2012) as well as the Captain Corelli connection.7. Myrtos beach - if you are good swimmers. 8. The beaches around Kamina are great if you want sand and safe swimming. 9. A drive up to the top of Mt. Ainos but you will have to go from the northeast of the mountain unless you have a 4x4 vehicle for the ground clearance.10. I notice from your pic that diving is a part of your life. There is a diving centre at Agia Efimia - village that is worth a visit anyway.

Note that many historic sites are closed on Mondays including St Georges Castle but not the fortress above Assos!!!

How is that for starters! Others will have things I've forgotten.

Enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 4:28 am, October 12, 2012
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Just to endorse bob's comment about the drive from the airport to Skala.Our first time to Cephalonia was this year and collected hire car at the airport.By the time I had put fuel in it (petrol station just around the corner from the airport) it was dark.I had a detailed road map but the directions I got on this forum for the drive to Skala were a massive help.

I am accustomed to hiring left hand drive cars in Europe and quite a confident driver. However what unnerved me was the lack of street lighting,catseyes and legible road signs. Also the road surfaces are not uniform and some of the hairpin bends tight. Certainly not a doddle.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

thank you everyone for replying. We have rethought and are going to stick with the coach transfer, as its our first trip. We will be definitely hiring a car whilst we are away to drive around and everyone has given some great ideas/things to do.

I'm really looking forward to next years holiday, and our first trip to Kefalonia

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Good decision imo. Greekstones in Skala are good people to hire from.They come highly recommended.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Hi

I second the vote for Greekstones (maybe it is something to do with Wirral and being Scouse!) - they are brilliant - helpful and professional!! We always hire from them and have always been pleased. I KNOW you will love Kefalonia and indeed Scala Ashil - we are out on 4th Aug next year after a year holidaying on our narrowboat in the UK and we cant wait!

northallerton
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

The transfer time is about !.5 hours, but personally I always enjoy it. Have always found the coaches to be comfotable and thankfully air-conditioned. The best bit of the transfer however is that you can relax and take in the stunning scenery from the elevated perspective of a coach, been going to Skala for almost 30 years now and it's beauty still takes my breath away!

Banbury, United...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Been to Skala many, many times. Taxis from airport to Skala aren't cheap and the cost of the two journeys goes a long way towards car hire. CBR have an office immediately outside the airport, very handy. http://www.cbr-rentacar.com/ Use a car and skip the tours unless you want to be herded round wine factories - drive where you want to go instead - little traffic, roads good. Skala has been heavily developed to the East along the coast road. Best restaurant for location, food range and chef quality is without doubt Sunrise Taverna (walk down the High Street, down the steps and turn right along the beach road - 2 minute walk to the very last taverna on the beach). Oh, and Amstel is on draught there, great at lunch time in July days.... enjoy Skala and expect to return there

Cheshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Regina Del Acqua is a new luxury hotel completed in 2008, situated at the far right hand end of Skala's beach.

It strives to be a 5 star hotel, but in reality its closer to a 3+ star.

Many hotelier's can build the visual side of a hotel with bells and whistles, but few know how to genuinely look after their guests, to make them feel special, like they've come home.

True customer service comes from the heart.

People on this island have showed me great generosity, when they've nothing to financially gain but a simple chat and your presence.

What will make you fall in love with this island isn't the hotel, its facilities or where its located.

It is the people, their humility, Kefalonia's tranquility, beauty & scenery.

When someone takes the time to say hello to you like a long lost friend, when they meet you in the street,

to offer you kindness and a simple chat, to ask you how you are and mean it, without much to gain

then you start to understand the Kefalonian way.

Hire a car from Pefanis in Skala: http://www.pefanis-car-hire-kefalonia.co.uk/

They will deliver the car to where ever you want it.

After having a few days rest to aclimatise, drive around the island.

Visit some of the following places at your leisure:

Mounda / Kaminia Beach, Aghia Efimia, Anti Samos Beach, Myrtos Beach, Assos, Fiskardo, Ithaca, Drogarati Caves, Melissani Lake, Argostoli (shopping), Robola Winery, Metaxata etc.

In Skala try the following restaurants: Apostolata, La Galera (Lamb Kleftiko), Gourgouris Grill (Greek Salad).

Drink, eat and explore at will.

The more you see & do, the more friends you make, the more your hotel will become a full stop at the end of the sentence or the day, in preference to a word or letter of significance at the start or middle of the sentence.

Kefalonia and its people are the true King & Queen of this island.

Edited: 2:55 pm, May 06, 2013
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

Hi BettysDetoxClinic,

You seem rather disparaging about the Regina Del Acqua. I haven't stayed there but reading the reviews on TripAdviso,r 137 out of 175 rate it as excellent and most comment on the friendliness of the staff.

This is at odds with your inferences in the second paragraph of your posting

Have you actually stayed there?

Bob

Cheshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: 1st time to Kefalonia

I've stayed in many hotels, villas & apartments in Kefalonia Bob.

Some residences visually look nice, some have excellent service, some are ideally located, some have excellent amenities, some have excellent views. The best places to stay tend to be consistantly good in all the above.I have offered a truthful opinion, based on my personal experience, not hearsay reading other peoples reviews.

Hotels with amazing Kefalonian views and excellent customer service capture my heart.

Historically, Skala's residents lived high up the hill in Old Skala & beyond, with fresh air and beautiful vistas - allowing them prior warning of visitors and invaders. Then in 1953 a terrible earthquake rose many villages to the ground and Skala village was relocated closer to the sea.

This had its advantages and disadvantages, the major disadvantage being a poorer view.

Regina Del Acqua is in a reasonable but not optimum location, it doesnt have special views, it has good but not exceptional service, it is overpriced.

This is my personal opinion.

I hope Ashlil has a fantastic holiday.

Hotels dont bring me back to Kef, it is the majestic beauty of the place and its people.

Edited: 9:09 pm, May 06, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations