We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nibbling fish in the sea

London, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Nibbling fish in the sea

We were swimming in the sea in Skala recently when two of us felt a little nibble from something in the water. We overhead someone on the beach mentioning the fish sometimes bite there - anyone shed any light on this?

Ps If your reading this don't be alarmed as it was only a little nip. Sea waters at Skala are wonderful but this just intrigued us.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

This can happen anywhere, not just in Skala, there are these little fish that might nib you especially if you have dry skin. You never see a mark or hurt from this, but I know it can be a little annoying sometimes. Just move a little and they will be gone. Or see it as a free fish-spa ;)

Edited: 3:22 am, August 29, 2012
Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

Hi Reviewer200

That is really interesting because I have often swam with the little fish in Skala and have enjoyed watching them. However I have never experienced any little nips - they usually swim and forage around the disturbance your feet make in the sea bed. I am going back to Skala next year so I shall watch more closely - don't tell everyone though because they all might want a free fish spa (Ha!!)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

There was recently a thread about this in the Parga forum. Search for 'biting fish' and you'll see it seems to be a common problem. I've experienced this on various beaches in the Peloponnese, but only in the last couple of years. The fish don't do any real damage but the nips feel like red hot pin pricks and it's very annoying!

Chorley, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

We swam with the fish in Skala without any problems, however the little ones in Preveli, Crete, actually drew blood. No problem tho', apart from the initial surprise, we lived to tell the tale!! All part of the fun. I suppose if someone invaded my home, I would want to investigate :) Tee Hee

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

We have experienced the nibbling fish for the first time this year both at Mounda & Avithos.

Wonder if the sea temperatures makes them come inshore. The sea has been warmer than our swimming pool!

Must say much as it is nice to see them swimming around, would prefer it if they went somewhere else!

scotland
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

we have came to expect it in greece now,crete ,kos,zante,kefalonia all have these nibbling fish,its a bit irritating at first but i got used to it,i found they only bit if you stayed still for a while,if you move they tend to move away,my other half didnt quite get used to it,you would think it was a shark in the water the way she reacted,lol

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

Had this happen about five years ago on st thomas beach they cleaned up my peeling sun burn quite well no ill effects but was quite shocked first bite but really amusing after you get used to them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

oh I was nipped a few times in skopelos this year and they broke the skin. ouch. I thought maybe i was imagining it at first... glad im not the only one :)

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

Poor little blighters are hungry - all that over fishing! Maybe they are taking their revenge on us for eating them from such a small age! Have a look on the Parga Travel Forum, there is a good thread on the 'biting fish' situation!

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nibbling fish in the sea

My boyfriend got bitten at St. Thomas beach too. I just swam quickly and they stayed away :) snorkelling is amazing though!

Get answers to your questions about Skala