We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques?

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques?

We are staying at the Tesoro Blu in just over a week, does anyone know if they exchange TC's there? If not, is it easy to exchange TC's in Scala? Finally is anyone in Scala (or just returned?) at the moment, if so whats the exchange rate like?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques?

Hi there

I would seriously reconsider taking TC's, they are pretty much old hat these days, few places will change them, plus each time you cash them, you pay a hefty commission. We always take all our Euros with us, if you don't want to do that, then take enough Euros to last the first couple of days whilst you get to know your way around, and access your cash via local ATMs. Do tell your card issuer where you are going and do also bear in mind that they will charge you each time you withdraw cash.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques?

Thanks for the feedback GB but actually its normally cheaper to exchange TC's than using your debit card. Most places in resorts (from my experience) charge between 1.5% and 2% when exchanging TC's. I bank with Lloyds TSB who charge 2.99% when using an ATM abroad, plus their exchange rate tends to be less competitive than exchanging money/TC's whist abroad.

We were in Rhodes earlier in the year and at the time Lloyds were offering €1.17 to the £1, when in the resort (Lindos/Pefkos) we were getting €1.21 to the £1..

Edited: 6:40 am, August 26, 2012
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques?

I would have agreed with GB but then you appear to know better.No bank in Skala,nearest is in Poros.Cashpoints in Skala but they are no use with Travellers Cheques.I stayed at Tesoro Blu 3 months ago but I did not notice any cheque cashing service.None was advertised.

I took euros in cash with debit cards as a back-up.Room safe in Tesoro Blu is included in the price.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques?

Bocodo

Apart from your Hotel the usual places would be of course a bank if there is one in Nea Skala. There are a couple of local Travel Agents they usually will change them, possibly a store/supermarket.

Chorley, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques?

We had no problem changing travellers cheques at either Panem travel, next to Solomos supermarket (on right going up main street) or etam travel a bit lower down, on opposite side. They charge a couple of euros for changing £100 to euros. Sorry, it was June when we went, so exchange rate will be different now. Enjoy your stay.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,849 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques?

In Greece these days "Cash is King".

We usually take most of our money in Euros and for back-up we take Sterling. Many shops will change Sterling into Euros and often give a better exchange rate than you get in UK. It obviously pays to shop around.

A room safe makes this no problem carrying plenty of cash!

Although I have not actively looked, I have not noticed places taking travellers' cheques.

7. Re: Travellers cheques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Skala