We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

Hello

I am seriously thinking of booking a week's holiday in July in Skala, Cephalonia but as most of the time I will be on the beach and I do prefer lovely sandy beaches I am a little worried as to what exactly the beaches are like in Skala.

Please are there any sandy beaches in Skala? Which is the shingle beach so I can try and avoid this area?

Also does Skala have lots of beaches. Sorry for my ignorance but I haven't been to Cephalonia before but I do like the sound of Skala.

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

JAGSML, could you just clarify which tavernas had a bbq theme as I'm a bit confused? I know Apostolis is a grill along with another garden one and the one behind teh church which everyone referred to as the 'railway carriages'. But all the others I ate in were proper tavernas.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

'm glad it wasn't just me that was confused, as i've not eaten in a Barbecue rest in Skala either.

milano
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

i think skala is the best beach in kefalonia.its huge and even july and august its not crowded.

its shingle beach us myrtos beach but i think this is a small problem.also the shingle beaches is more clean than sandy beaches.

if you like more the sandy beaches next of skala there is the option of kaminia beach.another huge 3km beach.

my opinion is that the area of skala have the better beaches of all kefalonia.

Kefalonia
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

I was on Skala beach this afternoon and it is definitely not sandy - the main part is fine shingle and so feels gritty underfoot and the slight slope down into the sea is small pebbles, not too bad getting in but a little tricky getting out again, but not difficult by any means. Once past the pebbles it was mainly sand with a few large pebbles dotted here and there. The water does tend to get deeper pretty quickly. There are several cafes/restaurants along the road behind the beach. I was in the area at the far end of the beach heading towards Mounda Bay which, in my opinion is one of the best on the island - soft sand and shallow water! An acquaintance I met through work (I am a English resident on the island by the way) told me that if you go about 100m out there is a coral reef and some good snorkelling. I know you said you didn't like to go too far from the beach, but the water here is very shallow even quite a way out. It gets a little deeper then becomes shallow again, so is quite safe.

The resort of Agia Efimia is very pretty and still quite Greek and I am told that the snorkelling is excellent, but without transport you wouldn't get to see much of the island from here unless you go on one of the excursions.

Katelios is a traditional little village not far from Skala and has a small sandy beach and, around the rocks, in the direction of Mounda Bay, there is a good area for snorkelling. The tavernas along the sea front are right on the edge of the beach and a lovely place to sit of an evening and watch the moon rise! Katelios is noted for its fresh fish. It is quiet and relaxing and gets many repeat visitors every year.

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and I am sure wherever you decide to stay (I wouldn't recommend Lassi though if you're looking for traditional, although the beaches are good, they get very crowded in the height of the season. It is a purpose built resort which stretches along one main road and much of the accommodation is up a very steep hill!) you will fall in love with it and want to return. Enjoy!

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

Hi we stayed at the St Georgio appts in in Skala in 2007, we had a super time but they are a bit of a way out of the resort. We hired a car so it was not a problem. We actually toured the whole of the island and were always delighted to come back to Skala, it's a really pleasant resort, good restuarants, not too noisy, beach is lovely and sandy if you just walk a little further around the bay.

Cephalonia is a great island, very well kept buildings as most of the older buildings were destroyed in the 1950s earthquate so the only really old part is up in Fiskardo, also worth a visit, but not to stay unless you own a yacht! Hope that helps! Enjoy :-)

16. Re: Beaches in Skala - Shingle beach and not sand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, November 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations