We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

Husband seems to want to book this place but I'm nervous about it not being on SMB (where we stayed before) and having to drive to get to places we want to see.

How is it? Is it safe there? If you just like paddling in the water vs. diving or snorkeling is it good here for that?

6 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

It is a different experience than SMB, but those who stay there love it. It is located in the middle of a small town, but situated on a nice beach with good snorkeling right in front. It is a little more exposed to the wind (nice breeze) than SMB, so not always as flat calm for snorkeling.

I live here in Cayman and would consider Turtle Nest a safe place to stay. The Inn is owner operated and I've never seen or heard of any trouble there.

If you are looking for a place to get away and chill out, read a book or 3- then this is a good place. If you are looking for your big hotel chain cookie cutter experience- then it is not.

Recommend renting a car and getting about to visit the botanic park, rum point and snorkel spots you can access from various beaches around the island. If you are nervous about driving- just check with the owners at TNI and they'll give you all the directions and help you need- there are no big highways in Cayman.

Level Contributor
3,511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

My wife and I stayed at the TNI in 2010. We loved the peace and quite of the place - away from the hustle and bustle of SMB.

We found the area to be quite safe. Yes, you will have to drive to get to most places as there is not much in walking distance of the TNI. Unless they have changed, a rental car is part of the rental package of the TNI (you pick the car up from the airport).

We stayed in one of the beach front condos. These are very nice. Some of the "inn" rooms also appear nice as well. The advantage of the condo is the full kitchen. We only ate out once during our week on GC - saving alot of $$$. On our first day, we went grocery shopping for food for the week. We would generally have breakfast at the condo, pack lunch in the cooler (provided by TNI) that we would eat wherever on the island we happened to be at during lunch time, then got back to the condo in the evening for a home cooked dinner.

I would not recommend the "beach view" condos - they are on the side of the property overlooking a property that was destroyed by Ivan and never rebuilt. All the beach front condos and most of the inn rooms face the ocean.

The beach in front of the TNI is not a sandy, swimming type of beach. It is a coral beach - water shoes recommended. There is also turtle grass along the shore - easy to swim over it. In front of the TNI is one of the better snorkeling area on the island. If you swim out past the turtle grass, there are sandy areas in 3-4 feet of water for just "paddling" around. Also, if you do not have your own snorkel gear - TNI has gear that they will let you use without charge.

The staff at TNI will give you as much (or as little) attention that you desire.

Below are some photos of our GC trip in 2010 that include some photos of the TNI.

flickr.com/photos/…

EDIT - we loved Rum Point. TNI was a convenient base of operations to visit both Rum point and the SMB/George Town areas.

Edited: 10:26 am, February 19, 2012
Level Contributor
120 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

My husband and I stayed there a couple years ago. We stayed in one of the beach front condos. They were very clean. We felt safe at all times. The staff was very friendly. The snorkeling was fantastic right out front of our condo. We had to drive to restaurants but you could save money and cook in your condo.

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

it was very nice in 2009 with good snorkelling just off the beach. However, when we drove by last week, there seemed to be some work going on the beach, with diggers, trucks etc. and we were wondering if that would affect the visibility.

United States
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

I believe the construction is down the road at Coe Wood Beach, where they are building a boat ramp and parking lot. That construction began last month while we were at Turtle Nest Inn; we never heard any construction noise even though we spent a great deal of time outside and, because the construction is not at the Inn, it was not visible unless you were standing in the water looking in that direction or driving past.

I was there with my husband, his parents and our children and we walked to some of the small shops in Bodden Town and up and down the beach and never had any reason to feel unsafe. The owners and staff are fabulous, so friendly and helpful. A vehicle is included, and we used it to explore the entire island; it's very easy to get around. The island's not that big and signage is outstanding. We sampled restaurants from Tukka to Macabuca and many in between.

I loved this beach because the snorkeling was amazing! (And TNI came to my rescue with a loaner when my own mask sprung a leak.) The topography alone was stunning and there was a huge variety of fish, and one day I followed a lone stingray while he floated along the bottom. I would not, however, recommend this beach as a good playing-in-the-water beach. The sand is rough and rocky and the turtle grass comes right up to shore; you have to go out a bit before you get to a sandy bottom. It's a good sitting-on beach, though, and the pool is right on the beach if you need to be in the water. Amazing sunrises, too!

Belgrade, MT
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?

We are about to make our 4th trip to TNI, and Alain and the rest of the crew is great, the property is about 15 minutes from the airport, but not bad, and their beach is nice for snorkeling, and it doesn't take long to drive to SMB public access and you can walk any where you want.

We're actually looking to buy on the island, but unless you go with a more private condo, which is a different feel, TNI is the best choice.

Reply to: Anyone been to the Turtle Nest Inn lately?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodden Town