We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiapas trip in December

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Chiapas trip in December

My husband and I are considering taking a two-week vacation to Chiapas over Christmas and New Years. Does anyone know what the weather will be like? I understand it's not rainy season, but does that mean that the countryside is still green or not?

Also, does anyone know what kind of events Chiapas has over this period as far as festivals, etc?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiapas trip in December

Chiapas is always green. Around San Cristobal you're in pine forest; in Palenque you're in jungle, in Tuxtla people water their lawns!

Easter, not Christmas, is the big event throughout Latin America, so no special events that I know of at Christmas-New Year. Check with tourist offices when you arrive at a new town, or ask the locals; but neither source will likely know much.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiapas trip in December

Bear in mind it gets very chilly in the highlands at night. (It's even been chilly in my area in the past week!)

As the PP says, Christmas is a family occasion in Mexico so very quiet, whilst many wealthier families head for the beach at NY. So beach areas of Chiapas will be very busy.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiapas trip in December

l will be in Puerto Chiapas in early December for a day, can anybody give me some recomendations of things to do and see. Thanks.

4. Re: Chiapas trip in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 21, 2012