We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel thru Chiapas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Travel thru Chiapas

Arriving in Cancun on 12/25 for about 30 days Would love to spend 2 weeks travelling and seeing towns and mercados headind to Chiapas and then finish of w 2 weeks at a beach town like Puerto Morelis or Playa del Carmen We are "seniors' but we like to explore Dont think i need to drive but ok w buses so i need help planning those first 14-16 days .Where to go and how long to stay

Want to plan now because that is a busy season .

Will book our beach lodging now but could we just "wing it" for the first 2 weeks ...

Should i fly in to Mexico city and go home from Cancun to Phl

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

If I were you...I would fly into Villahermosa.....then visit some sites in Chiapas (Bonampak, Yaxchilan, and Palenque). Afterwards, ADO bus to Escarcega....continue to Campeche (worth a couple of days sight seeing and visiting Edzna), onward to Merida....(maybe take the Ruta Puuc tour while there which would include Uxmal).....Valladolid....(Ek Balam and Chichen-Itza)....onward to Cancun. All of this could be done by first class ADO bus between the cities....then maybe a second class bus or taxi here and there to get to some of the sites.

Mexico City is a very long way from Chiapas....unless you fly to Tuxtla Gutierrez or Villahermosa (which is located in Tabasco)...The airlines there would be Interjet or Aeromexico.

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

i have USAIR mileage to get me to Cancun then should we do buses or take a flight to Tuxtla or Villahermosa then do buses ?

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

Barry....If you have enough miles to get you to Cancun, then you should also have enough miles to get you to Mexico City. You could buy a flight with Interjet or Aeromexico from Mexico City to Villahermosa....then go by bus all over the Yucatan to end up at Cancun...then fly home from there, What I'm saying is use your free flight as a multi-stop flight....flying into Mexico City...and return from Cancun.

The flight to Villahermosa is expensive from Cancun.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

Or.....You could still fly in and out of Cancun and just do it all by bus. But the bus trip one-way from Cancun to Palenque would be at least 12 hours......If you don't mind spending the extra money, they also have flights from Cancun to Villahermosa. Then you would only have to be on a bus for one way. You'll have to decide that. I just wish I had the time to join you!

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

Check this web page out this would be the answer you are looking for ... www.southdiscoveries.com and enjoy !!!

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

Hello !! You should check this web site.. www.southdiscoveries.com they have a date in December ..

7. Re: Travel thru Chiapas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 03, 2012