We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Perth
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Siquijor good for Family holiday?

I am a bit overwhelmed trying to choose destinations for our holiday in Jan 2012. Is Siquijor a good spot for a few days of relaxing with water sports e g snorkeling, kayaking etc? I want somewhere we can just snorkel from the beach. Coco Grove Beach resort looked like it might fit the bill?

Mentioned in this post
Coco Grove Beach Resort
Coco Grove Beach Resort
1,126 Reviews
Siquijor Island, Philippines
fairfield...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

....yes, but stay green, please.

Papalo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Coco Grove is a great resort. I have stayed there twice.

It has weekly trips to wonderful Apo Island (search it on TA) and sometimes to Oslob for dolphins: these trips may be less frequent or not operate during teh lean season (this time of year). It also has a Saturday night cultural show with buffet dinner (again, at ;least in the peak season).

Look up www.asiatravel.com for its 'Crazy rates' for Manila, makati and so on as I recommend a night pre and post Siquijor.

Philippine Airlines (first choice) and Cebu Pacific fly to Dumaguete: there are frequent ferries to Siquijor, which is an idyllic island. Hire a multicab (quasi jeepney) for a personal day tour of all the island's attractions including beaches, its great Butterfly Garden up the hills, churches, museums and rural scenery. Cost of day's hire is about P2000: great value. See 'Siquijor Island attractions' on TA: I have written up some including the waterfall and the balate tree.

Edited: 6:51 pm, June 15, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Coco Grove Beach Resort
Coco Grove Beach Resort
1,126 Reviews
Oslob
Oslob
Cebu Island, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Pacific Cebu Resort
Pacific Cebu Resort
309 Reviews
Mactan Island, Philippines
Siquijor
Siquijor
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

I've spent the last two summers in the Philippines, mostly on Bohol (which I love) and Mindanao, 2011 and 2012. I've also ridden a motorbike around Camiguin Island, which was a great experience. I love the Philippines.

But today was my best day ever in the Philippines. I took a motorbike around Siquijor and had the best time. The tricycle driver who delivered us to Villa Marmarine resort brought his new Honda motorbike at 9:00 a.m. Rental: 350 pesos plus 3 liters of gas.

First, I drove uphill to San Antonio, where a traditional healer created a love potion that is supposed to make my fiancee love me forever. Whether she does or not, it was a cool experience, well worth the 500 pesos.

From San Antonio, I took the road to San Juan, which was in better shape than the road from Siquijor Town to San Antonio, contrary to what Lonely Planet reports. I drove north back to Siquijor Town and took photos of the church, then backtracked to San Juan.

From there I made several short trips to Fresh Island Milk, which was closed for lunch the first two times I went there, but it was so good to visit mellow Cangmunag and the surrounding area between there and Lazi. I found TWO great little roadside stands that sold food. As a foreigner, I was attracted by the fact that both had signs out front that listed what food was offered and for how many pesos. I had a great meal of pork adobo, pancit, a big spicy meatball, and a Coke for 46 pesos. I went back to Fresh Island Milk, bought a mango/milk blend, then headed for Lazi.

As you approach Lazi, it is very impressive as the road gets wider and the coconut palms on both sides of the road. Took the usual photos of the church and the convent, then walked inside the convent and had the nicest conversation with a 73 year old woman who has worked there without pay for 30 years. She said two things that made me laugh: 1. "I am always ugly" (not true), and 2. "I'm the only antique they haven't stolen from the church or the convent" (which could be true).

I ran into a fiesta somewhere along the road after passing through Maria, and stopped when I saw a guitar player and his family by the side of the road. I played a few songs on the guitar, then asked if anyone could play "Matud Nila", a famous Visayan song. One guy knew how to sing it, but no one knew how to play it, so another guy ran down the road and found an old man who could sing and play it. He strummed the guitar once, the bottom string broke, then 10 minutes were spent trying to put the string back on. Finally, with the help of a nail wrapped around one end of the string, he was able to tune the string, and he played and sang a beautiful version of the song.

By this time, it was getting late in the day, so I hurried through Larena and back to Villa Marmarine (see my post about this wonderful resort) and my fiancee, sun-burned and very happy that I had spent such a great day on Siquijor. The people are very friendly. You just have to take the time to stop and talk to them. Your small efforts will reap huge rewards. Most Filipinos will not even set foot on Siquijor, because of its reputation for black magic and shamans. It's their loss!

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
Mindanao
Mindanao
Philippines
Camiguin Island
Camiguin Island
326 Reviews
Mindanao, Philippines
Siquijor
Siquijor
Villa Marmarine
Villa Marmarine
278 Reviews
San Juan
San Juan
Larena
Larena
fairfield...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Unga,

....I'm glad you enjoyed Siquijor Island. Hopefully, it will retained its uniqueness.

Papalo

Mentioned in this post
Siquijor Island
Siquijor Island
Visayas, Philippines
Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

By chance , did you come across Harry Potter or Tom Riddle ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
2,125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Unfortunately when I was there last Christmas I didnt meet any sorcerers or witches.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

I've been there twice and survived, but many Filipino(a)s I talk to (particularly in Manila) regard the place with abject horror.

I have yet to see a faith healer there, but I have been to some of the lovely Catholic churches and the Lazi Convent, swum at spectacular beaches and generally enjoyed the island vibe.

While I have not been to Bali, to use an Australian term Siquijor could be a far superior version of 'Bali without the bogans!'

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Siquijor
Siquijor
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

I didn't come across anything remotely spooky. Just lovely scenery, beaches and people. Maybe the superstitions are a good thing as they keep the crowds away and preserve the island.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Coco Grove is lovely - highly recommended. The only faith healers I have met in this country up to now claimed to be Catholic, not aswang!

Mentioned in this post
Coco Grove Beach Resort
Coco Grove Beach Resort
1,126 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,458 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siquijor good for Family holiday?

Many residents of Siquijor would tell you that foreign tourists outnumbered local tourists in Siquijor because of these horror stories. During my last visit to the island me and a friend were the only Filipinos staying in Coral Cay Resort and the rest are foreigners.

Mentioned in this post
Siquijor
Siquijor
Coral Cay Resort
Coral Cay Resort
190 Reviews
Get answers to your questions about Siquijor Island