We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

Orleans, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

On Friday, April 26th, 2010 at noon, we are in Laveno (Lake Maggiore) to have a lunch in a pizzeria in the city center. Both parking lots for handicapped persons found are occupied. We park the rented car in a blue zone parking, and put behind the windscreen the handicapped person's panel (European Union standard format) thinking as in France and U.E. countries that the parking lot is free for the handicapped persons. 15 mins later, returning to the car to leave an object in the car; a fine is put on the windscreen with the such following information: " car irregular parked, no parking ticket displayed, French occupants (it is an italian car plate, the only information in French is the disable panel with an F) etc., 39 € to be paid ". Angry, I go to the office of the local police. The only thing which says the employee: " we apply the law, many Italian handicapped persons complain, make a complaint with this printed document, Europe, here, we do not know ". Is that the common attitude of the police in Italy? Are they robot or human? Never again in Lovano.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

I think there is no requirement for one place to accept the disabled parking stickers of another, Even here in Australia, a parking permit for a disabled person in one state does not apply in another state.

However, you should check the rules as they apply to European countries, maybe through Google, and contest the fine if it does not meet the stated rules.

This information may help

…angloinfo.com/information/17/disabled.asp

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

Unfortunately + Evidently they were just adhering to Italian Law.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

If you click through to the European Council of Ministers document accessible through the Anglo-Info link above, it can be seen that if the OP was displaying a valid EU permit, and if the car park was a public rather than a privately owned one, then the Laveno parking attendants are not complying with Italian law (or, at the least, not with what the Italian state has told other countries is Italian law):

<ITALY.............

Parking in car parks

One in 50 spaces in public car parks is reserved for use by vehicles displaying a disabled person's parking card. Vehicles displaying a parking card may be parked there free of charge. If these spaces are occupied, vehicles displaying a card may be parked in other spaces free of charge.

In some private car parks, vehicles displaying a parking card may be parked free of charge, and often for longer periods than other vehicles. Check locally.>

Edited: 12:28 pm, February 27, 2010
Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

(or, at the least, not with what the Italian state has told other countries is Italian law):

This made me smile :-)

Orleans, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

Thanks Perilizia for this information.

I am back to France, but I am still angry about this attitude AGAIN disable people. I have paid the fine. But I am sure that in Laveno (not Lovano, nothing to do with love!), the police are doing their best to get money.

1/ when I have gone to the municipal station to complain, the officer asked me to provide documents of the car and my driving license to get a form to ask to withdraw the fine; but the document I got was not for that (as said the police of Ispra (a neighbour town) and in the prefectura of this area). For sure, it was to get all the data to be sure the fine will be paid.

2/ Ispra police station gave me a form to ask to withdraw the fine and told me to go to the "prefectura" of the area in Gaverato to give the form. In the "prefectura", the officers were very kind to help; there were very angry about this attitude. Except there is a problem: first you have to pay the fine then ask to withdraw the fine and be paid back,... then you have to pay the official request 38€ and, after having paid 38+38=76€, the request will be studied. So police in Laveno knows, in any way, the fine will be paid. Thanks again.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

The police who gave you the fine are I think not part of the national police force, but are employees of and controlled by the small comune of Laveno-Mombello, an area with only 8000 residents. I am afraid that in a number of very small comunes, there are some people who are ignorant of (or who choose not to apply) certain laws agreed by the European Community. Perhaps the same also happens in some small communes in France?

Please do not take their attitude as representative of all Italian police and cities, and I am very sorry they caused you so much trouble.

Orleans, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

Lynnb48, thanks a lot for these information; as you can see in my reply to Perizilia, I have read the web document and use it to escalade this inacceptable attitude.

I understood it is a new law in Italy; presently, a lot of services are doing their best to facilitate handicapped traveling (it is not easy to travel with a young lady with two paralized legs and urinal problem, I can tell you and it is already expensive) : Air flights, trains, local buses, car constructors, hotels, Theaters, cinemas, museums (access and toilets) etc. but the Italian lawers are going in the other direction and local police do not notice this change on the car (no sign to tell and the closest street to access is authorized to handicapped displaying handicapped badge,... confusing) they already applied the law like robot device linked to a computer even if the handicapped parking lots are occupied. It is the first time I have this kind of problem.

Orleans, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

Stresa,

Your town, on the other side of the lake, is very nice, for sure is very pleasant to visit and to "walk through" with a wheelchair. The handicapped parking lot was already occupied, the police of Stresa have authorized us to park free on the blue zone parking, they showed us an accessible parking lot to be able to move the person and the wheelchair out of the car. They are more humane.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

I am glad to hear our vigile or ausilario had a more humane approach. I guess actually seeing you in person helped as it evidently highlighted your predicament immediately.

I don't think they were out to get your money in Laveno. This is not your case but I have seen many able-bodied people abuse the reserved disabled parking places.

10. Re: Lovano, no parking tolerance for handicapped person

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Laveno-Mombello