We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please .. :)

Which Moniga del Garda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
EIre
Level Contributor
504 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Please .. :)

I am looking into booking our holiday for this year. I have come across some pretty good deals in the Lake Garda area (Moniga del Garda to be precise). I really don't know much about the area at all having never holidayed here before or spoken to many who have! Really what I am wondering is whether there will be enough restaurants in the area to keep us happy for a week, also are there any activities for the kids nearby (although, they are pretty happy with just the pool - but we are going at the start of May and may be a little cool?)

Another question would be kids in bars? I know it is acceptable all across spain, portugal, etc and would imagine it is the same here ... are there many places for us to go for a pre-dinner or afternoon drink??

We generally like to chill out on holidays, good food, good wine/beer, bit of scenery and a good book!

All information would be greatly appreciated, as I say, I am not familiar with the area at all!

Thanks in advance,

Luce x

7 replies to this topic
Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please .. :)

Hi children are welcome in bars and restaurants in Italy. Don't personally know Moniga del Garda but I believe it is quite a small town. Unfortunately this area of the western side of the lake isn't particularly well served by public transport and it could be quite difficult getting around. This is the bus timetable, as you will see there aren't too many buses in the day:

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN027.pdf

Ferry services are not good, with only around 3 ferries a day calling at Moniga.

It really depends on how much you want to sightsee around the Lake. The Gardaland Theme parks on situated on the eastern side of the lake near Lazise. It might be worth having a look around this area, Lazise, Bardolino, Garda, all with much better bus and ferry services.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please .. :)

As said above Moniga is not well served by public transport. There are a number of things you should consider when choosing your holiday destination.

FLIGHTS

Beware of false economy.

If choosing to fly with Mr Oleary into Bergamo check the exact departure and arrival times. It is unfortunately a recurring theme where people blindly book their cheap flights with Ryan Air only to find there is no way of getting to their accommodation on arrival by public transport or in some cases being able to make the return flight.

Many people have booked the flights intending to rely on public transport without checking. its viability. They come in for a shock. Some people find they have to stay in Bergamo overnight (unplanned) or have to pay a transfer ~ €150+

In addition some smaller accommodation doesn't have a night desk so even if you can get to your village your accommodation may be locked for the night.

Many visitors (e.g from Ireland and the UK) stay on campsites in Maxi-caravans/Bungalows. Camping Bella Italia in Peschiera is popular. They are unaware that for instance the reception closes at 10pm and the site closes to vehicles at 11pm making arrival impossible.

LOCATION.

For general interests as said above Bardolino,Lazise, Peschiera area good place as there are the theme parks between Lazise and Peschiera, there is a sandy beach area just 10mins walk to the south of the village and not that far from Peschiera del Garda train station.

However with any "location" on the lake check the exact location of any property.

Places addresses are based on the nearest village.

as an example Lazise addresses go approxiamtely 4km south towards Peschiera and 1km inland.

Around Moniga similar sort of thing - you could find yourself 2miles from Moniga or over 1mile inland.

EATING AND DRINKING WITH KIDS.

No problem here. I have been at Lake Garda every year since my eldest could just walk - that was 19years ago.

There are many restaurants where you don't have to have a meal - you can sit down and just have a drink and watch the world go by. Many bars/cafes to get a drink with outside tables. See them for example in the sidestreets of Lazise amongst the shops and restaurants.

Springfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please .. :)

Since you have been been to Lake Garda for 19 years, I am hoping you can help. We are looking for a town with restaurants, shops; not so remote. We would rather stay south than north of the Lake which would put us closer to other towns to visit, such as Verona, etc. Which towns which you recommend, Bardolino, Lazise, or any other towns would be helpful.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Please .. :)

I'd choose Bardolino.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Please .. :)

Yes, Bardolino would also be my choice. The town has very good bus and ferry services for getting around the lake and also a direct bus to Verona. There are many restaurants, cafes etc, a pediestrianised town centre, a nice lake front promenade and lakeside paths to Garda, Lazise and Peschiera del Garda. You could also look at the neighbouring town of Garda.

You can find summer 2013 bus and ferry timetables here to give you an idea of where you get to:

…verona.it/flex/…653

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

Edited: 12:45 pm, March 17, 2014
Springfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Please .. :)

You are suggesting first choice Bardolino, second choice Garda? Thank you for your helpful reply. Now we will proceed to find a Villa in walking distance to town or a hotel to accomodate 3 adults couples. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Please .. :)

Generally, self catering accommodation is in apartments and even then you would be lucky to find something with 3 bedrooms. Larger residences (larger complexes) are usually out of town and not within walking distance of the centre. These are a few apartment websites well within walking distance, but you would have to have more than one apartment for your group.

parchotels.it/uk/ParcHotelgermanoApartments.…

www.residencecampana.it/en-us/home/page/1

http://www.beatrix.it

http://www.cortesanluca.com/index.php?lang=en

We regularly use the Parc Germano where they have three types of apartment, some sleeping 6 but with only 2 bedrooms and a sofa bed.

Bardolino has some really good hotels, many on the lakeside, you can read the reviews here

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194683-Bardolino_P…

I can personally recommend the Bellevue (part of the De Lac & Bellevue) and the Parc Germano Suites.

Reply to: Advice Please .. :)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moniga del Garda