We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

Ivyland...
Level Contributor
441 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

I am in the process of planning a vacation to Chile. Will likely stay in Vina Del Mar and then drive north to Playa Blanca which is a bit south of Coquimbo. Since I do not feel a great need to drive 8 hours or so continuously, after all this will be a vacation, I would like to know what options there are to stay somewhere approximately half way between Vina Del Mar and Playa Blanca. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of accommodations at the halfway point or am I totally unknowledgeable?

4 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

Both Los Vilos and Pichidangui have plenty of places to stay, although more is open in summer than winter. I don't know if you want to go further north to stop than that.

www.mapas.mop.cl/CC2010/jpg72/Lmina2.jpg

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2547333-Pichidangui_…

Ivyland...
Level Contributor
441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

Thanks very much. I had hoped to stay a bit further north, but if there isn't much I understand. Thanks for your help.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

Illapel and Ovalle have places but are off Ruta 5. Although that road which goes through Illapel and Combarbalá and out at Ovalle is a very nice road. It would take longer, of course. There might be places on the highway which I simply don't know.

http://www.apuwara.cl./ing/home_ing.htm

Ivyland...
Level Contributor
441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca

Thanks for your messages. The way I look at it is, I am on vacation trying to see the country. Although I do not want to drive too much in one day. Increasing the driving a bit but spliting it up into two days may be preferable. Plus, it might be nice to drive into the mountain valleys beyond just the coast. I will look into Illapel and Ovalle.

Reply to: Driving from Vina Del Mar to Playa Blanca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pisco Elqui