We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
pa
Level Contributor
368 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

We have a trip planned for the Riviera Maya area. I'm hoping to get advise (For someone in their 2nd trimester of pregnancy) with the newly publicized information on the Unsafe Travel Warnings from the C.D.C. to this area with Mosquitoes and pregnancies.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,657 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

I just saw a news report on the Zika virus for pregnant women and the risk of birth defects. Honestly, I think you might want to get your advice from a travel clinic and ob-gyn on this one given the serious nature of the concern. In non-pregnant adults, apparently the virus mimics cold symptoms and is not a big deal.

pa
Level Contributor
368 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

Thanks and I'm sure that's what they will do But I just thought if I had a little personal or background information to go them with. Thank you very much for the advice though.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

A neighbor of ours (just outside of Playa) was hit with dengue fever recently and was laid up in the hospital for days. I don't know if that is a rarity, but it is not something to ignore.

Edited: 11:46 am, January 16, 2016
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

The CDC alert does include Mexico - cdc.gov/media/…s0315-zika-virus-travel.html

but it does appear the risk is low.

Then again, how low is low enough when we're talking about something like this?

Is your trip insured (and more to the point, is the CDC alert enough for the insurance company to pay out)? If your trip isn't insured, is changing to a different destination an option (albeit with perhaps some additional fees)?

Only you can decide what level of risk you're OK with - but if I were you, my first action would be to see what all my options are.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

Zika was first reported in Mexico a few months ago and will almost certainly spread quickly. The current interim CDC recommendation for pregnant women (any trimester) is to consider postponing travel to any area where Zika virus is present. The CDC also recommends mosquito bite avoidance measures for pregnant women who "must travel" to areas where Zika virus is present. Here's a link to the CDC web site:http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-mexico.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

The birth defects from this virus are severe and often fatal. A vacation isn't worth that risk to my baby. If it were me, I would cancel and plan a 'stay-cation.'

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

"I think you might want to get your advice from a travel clinic and ob-gyn on this one"

Yes.

And I'm actually going to go out further on a crazy limb here and say don't take medical advice of any kind from anyone on an online travel forum. Talk to your doctor.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

Thanks for posting this!! I knew nothing about it and we are suppose to be traveling there in 4 weeks! I am looking into changing to Jamaica or Punta Cana

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

Not clear that Jamaica would be better...

…jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/news/Local-docto…

Edited: 10:59 pm, January 16, 2016
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riviera Maya area safety w/ Mosquitoes & Pregnancy

Thanks :/ what a disappointment! Good to know ahead of time though