We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

The reviews for the Lindo and Maya haven't been really good recently. What's going on? We're going soon and it's a little stressful from the recent reviews. Did management change?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

I haven't read the reviews but, I always keep 2 things in mind. The weather often affects the reviews and people seem to follow the reviews that come before theirs. What I mean by that is 1. people may be more apt to write a poor review if there are already poor reviews and less apt to write a good review if there are poor reviews and 2. opinions may be slightly influenced by the opinions of others. I am not saying that no one on trip advisor thinks for themselves but, I am overgeneralizing about the nature of humans.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

I looked over the reviews and the majority of them are positive.

A person complaining about having to make reservations for the ala carte restaurants obviously hasn't done any research on the resort.

I also notice several of the negative reviews were from one time posters which always makes me wonder.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

I noticed that many of the negative reviews came from people who stayed over the holidays when occupancy was 100%. Over the years I have noticed an uptick in negative reviews over the holidays. Whether it is the result of people not researching their holiday destination, as in the case of complaining about reservations, or overly high expectaions from either not researching or travel agent puffery or just because the resorts don't put on enough extra staff is hard to say.

nik

st. louis
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

I have never been to the Maya or Lindo, but have been to the Grand several times and have seen negative reviews about the resort from people who supposedly were there at the same time I was. I sometimes wonder if these reviews were generated in the marketing departments of their competitors. That's why I agree with schmerl that reviews from one time posters are suspicious.

NY
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

I was just there and wrote an honest review on December 26. Like most resorts, there are positive and negative. Things I loved and things I hated. There is definitely some individual preferences as well.

THe bottom line is, I don't think it's right to say that most of these people are lying. However, with all of the "complaints" I had, my family and I had a wonderful time and a great vacation. The weather was beautiful, the place is massive but gorgeous, the people are very friendly and work SOOO hard. The place is super clean. Nobody in my party of 5 had any health issues and other than only drinking bottled water, we didn't take any additionaly precautions. If you go with the right attitude, you will have a great time but it is not a perfect place that some of the 5 star reviewers are claiming it to be. I actually think they are the ones misleading people who then can only be set up for a disappointment when it is isn't perfect. If I can help you or answer any of your questions, please let me know.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

Thanks everyone. I'm sure we'll have a great time. :)

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

We're headed there next week and I also noticed the recent negative reviews and was concerned. However, like nik mentioned, these negative reviews came at a very busy time. I also had to remind myself that I've stayed at other AIs and we were generally very happy with our experiences while others may have different expectations and/or are very picky. And one negative review can "outshine" ten positive ones, so I'm going with the attitude that our trip will be wonderful based on all of the great reviews I've read. Hope you have a great time!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

The IB Grand is also getting less than perfect reviews lately than it usually does. Its odd to say that a 4 star review is a bad one, but typically the Grand gets a perfect 5 stars. Could be many factors.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

Personally, I find the information in forums like this more useful since it can be challenged by other readers.

When reading reviews, I always look at the persons travel and posting history before taking a negative review seriously.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews for the Iberostar Lindo and Maya

That's a great suggestion! Thanks!