We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sheboygan Falls...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

Having stayed at this resort numerous times in the past, I was always able to purchase a phone card at the Lindo for $40, which allowed unlimited calling from the resort to the USA for one week. I have now been informed that the resort no longer sells this particular calling card. Can anyone make recommendations as to the best calling card to purchase, prior to my trip? And are there phones in the complex that can be used, without additional hotel charges (such as calling from one's room)?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

This is just one option that you may be interested in. When we travel to an AI in Mexico we add international calling to the cell phone of the family member who is back in the U.S. When we arrive we text them our room #. They call the hotel and ask for our room at scheduled times. The hotel charges nothing for this. T Mobile charges $7.00 per month which they pro-rate from the time we add the plan until the end of our billing cycle and 5 cents per minute. This may also work well for you and is just one option.

Sheboygan Falls...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

Thank you for the excellent tip Darlene66! I did some further checking after I posted this question, and have now come up with (what I consider) a perfect solution. I have an I-Pad and have installed Skype. I will be able to call from the hotel back to the states at 2.3¢ a minute, with an additional 4.9¢ connection fee. Furthermore, should I want to contact somebody back in the states who have installed Skype on their computers/tablets, I'll be able to video call at absolutely no charge. Pretty good deal! But thanks again for your suggestion!

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

I always call home for free using my smartphone and a VOIP app (same for texting).

All you need is wi-fi which is free at some of the resorts in the complex.

4. Re: Calling from Iberostar Complex (GRAND / MAYA/ LINDO / BEACH)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 29, 2014