We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

My aunt and I (spanish speaking New Yorkers) arrived at IGP yesterday, Monday, as the third and final leg of our Mexican trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. We began our trip on Tuesday, 8/22 at The Ritz Carlton Cancun for 2 nights, then Secrets Maroma Beach on Thursday, 8/24 for 4 nights, and now Iberostar Grand Paraiso for 3 nights. We leave Thursday, 8/29.

It took less than 10 minutes to arrive at IGP from SMB. We are currently staying in oceanfront building 70; we stayed in oceanfront building 71 last year. We looked forward to returning to IGP as we fully enjoyed the resort back in August, 2012. We had the lunch buffet at La Brisa and enjoyed the main pool for most of the afternoon. Last night we saw the Magic Show featuring Sebastian.

It is now 7:50 in the morning and we are leaving for their delicious breakfast...lobster blini anyone?

More to follow...until then,

Rose

If anyone should have any questions, feel free to ask.

Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Sounds wonderful! We will be at the Grand 9/20-9/26. This will be our first trip there...actually our first trip to Mexico!

Did you book the oceanfront room or did they upgrade you when you arrived?

Are both buffets open?

Are there many people there or is it kind of empty?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious what to expect, we are so excited and can't wait to get there!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Glad you are having a great trip. How is the wifi in your room in building 70? We were in 70 on the 2nd floor last week and we had great wifi signal.

Midwest girl-if this is your first trip to Mexico and you are going to the Grand you are in for a real treat, and you will officially be spoiled.

Edited: 11:06 am, August 27, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
992 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

How does the grand compare to secrets for service, room and food? Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Midwest,

I booked oceanfront but overheard front desk offer a guest oceanfront upgrade for $80US per night.

Bella Vista buffet open for breakfast. La Brisa (nearest to beach) buffet open for lunch.

Occupancy rate is about 35%--majority of guests are couples. My aunt and I feel very comfortable within the resort ambience as return guests.

Midwest...never never apologize for asking a question/questions. I was brought up to never be afraid to ask questions. Knowledge is power and my mother raised me to be fearless! If she were alive, she'd have a fit for you apologizing...LOL

I agree with Texas--you will have a wonderful time here!

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Texas...Wifi was lagging at first inside room (building 70 top floor) but all is fine now. I am currently posting this as I lounge by the pool using an IPAD.

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Mom,

Excellent question--as my aunt and I have been asking each other the very same question. I will post a detailed comparison of both SMB and IBG upon my return home.

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

While my aunt is having her massage at the Lindo location, I am sitting here alone at La Brisa having finished my delicious lunch consisting of grilled lobster, shrimp fajitas and ceviche...yes I was hungry. My cappuccino has just arrived and am enjoying the view of the fabulous turquoise water.

Later we head to Plaza Paraiso where the commercial center, consisting of various shops including a creperie/ice cream counter, is located.

Dinner last night (Monday) was at Venezia (Italian) restaurant...my favorite!

Dinner tonight at Toni's (Surf & Turf).

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Rose you are making me very hungry I really think the lunch buffet is fabulous.

Also loved the International buffet on the Wednesday with the Stars under the stars hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Thank you for the response Rose!

LOL that your mom would have had a fit about apologizing for all the questions. I just hate to be a bothersome newbie :)

Texas and Rose....sounds like we made the right choice booking the Grand! We had no idea which place to go with, I went off of reading others reviews more or less. We are getting more and more excited the closer it gets. 3 1/2 weeks seems so far off, but I'm sure the time will fly by.

I wish we had someone familiar with the resort going with us, but I guess it will be fun exploring a new place to us together :)

P.S. Rose, you're making me hungry as well!

NYC
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Twocunard,

Look forward to Wednesday's International buffet. Last year, unfortunately, I had to leave the Int'l buffet early and go back to the room due to an itchy rash on my legs...long story.

Long story-

Back in 2009, I developed a red, itchy rash while staying at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I am fair-skinned and try not expose myself to the sun for long periods of time. Initially, my aunt and I thought it was an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in the linens or towels. Then we thought perhaps I was allergic to something in the Caribbean Sea e.g., sea lice. Eventually the rash disappeared upon my return to NY.

We went back to IGRH and I wore a rash guard shirt for protection. Sure enough, I developed the darn rash again but this time only on my legs. It cleared upon my return to NY.

Last year my aunt and I decided on Mexico and stayed at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Yes, I got the rash--it was so bad the night of the International buffet that I thought I wouldn't be able to fly home the next day. Upon my return home, I saw my dermatologist. I told him my symptoms, he looked at the rash and said...'I am sending you for blood work but most likely you have Photodermatitis.'

I said...'I have Photo what??'

In layman's term--an allergic reaction to the sun.

Who knew?

Ever since my diagnosis, when on vacation, I wear rash guard and UV protection clothing from the neck down. In addition, my dermatologist advised me to use sun screen that has zinc.

Hell if I let a rash stop me from enjoying life!!

Edited: 6:04 pm, August 27, 2013