We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing liquor

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing liquor

Another question for travelers returning to the USA. Can we bring liquor back to the states on the plane? In our suitcase? If yes, is there a shopping place or area we can buy it? We will be staying at the del Mar. Or does one buy it at the duty free shoppes at the airport? Oh oh, guess that's more than one question and again thanks for your help.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing liquor

You can buy it at the airport at the Duty Free area. You can take it on in your carryon luggage. When you make your connection you will have to reclaim your checked luggage and put your liquor in it and recheck it. It sounds like a big deal but it really isn't. We do it every trip, no problems.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing liquor

You're allowed to bring back two bottles er person, duty free. You can bring more, but must pay the duty fees.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing liquor

The savings is not really worth the hassle of lugging the liquor. You're just going to drink it anyways and have to buy some at home at some point.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing liquor

I will check out the prices before I buy it. I did hear that some of the liquor is somewhat less expensive....we are here in PA and the taxes are high. Thought it would make for a nice gift or two instead of the old "stand-by" tee shirt. To TacoPants, I'm always buying some at home at some point::)), it's medicinal.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing liquor

Just don't bring back Havana Club or you may end up in jail. lol.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing liquor

I have a cabinet full of memento tequilas purchased there, and brought back. Non-exports, and they're well worth my luggage space, I can assure you.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing liquor

I don't think you'd end up in jail if you got caught with Havana Club. I saw some people get caught with Cuban cigars and they made them throw them in the trash. I did hear you will get pulled for inspection from then on every time you go through Customs.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing liquor

It was an exaggeration to point out how silly it was.

jersey
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing liquor

They definitely Do not. Pull you for inspection every time you travel. If you bring back either too much liquor or banned cigars.. I know first hand .. Because we went overboard buying liquor once.. And Customs said we have to pay a tax on it. I was Thinking they would send me a form to fill out. Did not realize was supposed to pay at Airport.. Well I just left Airport.. With All my liquor.. And have never been bothered again... I never did it on purpose but it was a misunderstanding... And that's how it is..............

Edited: 12:57 pm, April 23, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
130 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing liquor

I'll just put everything in "hubby's" suitcase!!! (just in case). I'm looking forward to the trip and some sunshine...and I think I'll throw in a drink or many!! Thank you again