We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Columbia, Missouri...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

My fiance and I just booked our honeymoon to the Grand from May 27-June 3. I was wondering, for those who have been before, what sort of suggestions you have.

1) We booked the Junior Suite, is it worth upgrading to a better room? Some of the reviews say Ocean View rooms are sometimes blocked by the trees, and since we are law students I don't want to pay extra if its not worth it!

2) Any recommendations for places to see/ excursions to take?

3) We both love to swim and snorkel. Is the beach at the hotel good enough to walk in and swim, or do we need to go somewhere else to swim and snorkel?

Thanks for any recommendations, and if anyone will be at the resort at the same time, let us know! We are so excited to start our life together with a trip to the wonderful place!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

I would not bother upgrading to an oceanfront as the rooms are set far back and you will only see a small slice of the ocean. If you are lucky they may upgrade you for free because it is your honeymoon so have your travel agent let them know but do not count on it. If you could afford an oceanfront room that would be worth it for a honeymoon. The are right on the beach and wonderful but will cost quite a lot more.

You can definitely swim in front of the resort. You will just need to go slightly to the left side of the resort to find a clear entrance with few rocks. It is often wavy here so snorkelling is not great. You will need to go on an excursion to snorkel.

It is a great hotel for a honeymoon. Congratulations!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

The Grand is an amazing place for a honeymoon. We went there on our honeymoon as well.

I think what Ontario meant is that they would not bother upgrading to OceanVIEW as they are set back and most have but a small slice of a view of the ocean. The view from the oceanfront rooms is amazing! Its literally right there in front of the ocean. I would either book a standard room or oceanfront. All of the rooms will be the same on the inside, only the view changes with the different room categories.

No real snorkeling to speak of at the Grand but you can take a side trip for that.

Deeside
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

Todd

We will be at the Grand 18 th May for two weeks. It will be our fifth visit.

All the rooms are the same even the Ocean front . You won't spend much time in your room so it depends on whether you want to pay the extra.

You will have a fabulous time. We don't snorkel so can't help you on that score

But if you need any other info feel free to ask

Meryl

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

You can swim in the ocean, but you won't find very good snorkeling right at the resort.

Columbia, Missouri...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

Thanks for the advice on the beach everyone.

I know it has been stated in other topics, but does anyone have some good advice for excursions/places to see? We loved to snorkel, jet ski, swim with dolphins, golf, go to cenotes, go to ruins, see animals. Really anything fun will work, we aren't very picky!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

There is a great golf course right there at the IB Grand. You can also rent jet skis there.

For other places, contact Edventure Tours. They have some set tours, but will also design a day around what you want to do. They provide the drive/guide:

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

We have done the Mayan adventures tour. We booked through our booking company (I think it was Olympus that year). Very fun. We booked the Formula One Offshore Explorer tour through Playa Info. That was a blast.

Columbia, Missouri...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

Thanks for the advice everyone. Still would love to hear more on the excursions!

jersey
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

Hey Todd. We use a private driver, it is cheaper to do all you want as far as tours go. Plus you go at your own pace. Not with the masses. You can ask Kenl60089 for his feedback.. He and his family had a great day out. Plus a lot better of a deal.. You get to see more in less time. Just because your a tourist, You don't have to be shuttled around like one..

Hudson,NH
Level Contributor
1 post
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May trip to Iberostar Grand...suggestions

Hi,

We stay at the Iberostar Maya, next door to the Grand.

I have to tell you that the beach is much better at the Maya than the

Grand.

Also, the pool is nowhere near as nice as the Maya. The Grand has a

quiet pool. No talking.

On the upside the food and entertainmet is better.

They took us on a tour, because we stay at the Iberostar just about every year.

I truly like the Maya better.

We are a couple like yourselves, but I love the beach, pool and the food.

The Maya also has all junior suites and the price is a bit less.

You'll have to decide for yourself.

Go to Google Earth and look at the pools and beach at each hotel.

They are right next door to each other.

Edited: 4:40 pm, January 10, 2013