We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant sleep without a fan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cant sleep without a fan

How are the temps in the rooms with the AC on full blast? I have to be cold when I sleep and im worried about not having my fan with me. I sleep with a stand up fan right on my head year round. Usually I always take one with me when I travel, but Ive only traveled on a plane once and that was hawaii.... I bought a fan from walmart and then left it at the hotel.

You may think Im weird, but... If I had to choose between my wife and my fan for vacation..... well, i may have to take the fan! lol

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

LOL.

What resort are you staying at?

KC MO
Level Contributor
614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

Drew,

Take the fan!!! My husband also has to have a fan and I would much rather him take it then be grumpy all week without it. I would even pay the extra bag fee if necessary. We spend enough money getting to our vacation destination I don't want a fan to be the source of sleepless nights.

Edited: 4:54 pm, June 07, 2012
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,839 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

I think you're going to be taking a trip to Walmart in Mexico to buy yourself a fan!

IME, the AC in Mexico (in fact, pretty much anywhere outside Canada and the US) never gets really cold. It's enough to take the edge off but that's about it.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

There is a Walmart in Playa where you can buy a fan.

Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

Ok, Im thinking about leaving some of my clothes at home and packing my fan in my suitcase. I might run down to the store before I go and get a smaller one. I have a travel one, but it still may be too big for a suitcase.

I used to have those small water bottles with the fan attached to them that I would take when we go camping. I would like about 6 of them up around my head and try not to move during the night. Some nights were good... others I woke up missing a little skin off my nose! lol This was before the bigger battery powerd fans.

I am staying at IB Beach.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

Drew, I think you are my long lost twin. I thought I was the only one who needed a fan at night. Lol. I use a fan year round. Even in the winter although then I sometimes position it to the side of me. Ceiling fans don't do the trick. I had thought of asking the resort for one but will probably pack a small $10 one.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

Take a fan! I travel with one like this, everywhere I go:

freshmanchecklist.com/electronics-small-fan.…

I have to, to drown out the snorefest going on beside me. I threw the box away, and now wish I had it, but we just pack clothing underneath it, and on top of it, and make sure it's snug inside of the suitcase, and it's made it fine, going on three international flights now.

I'm not sure which resort you're staying at, but at the Grand, it was some genius's idea to put the ceiling fan over the sitting area, instead of over the bed, so the fan comes in handy. I just move it to the little shelf on the nightstand when I wake up in the morning, to get it out of the housekeeper's way, but it fits nicely on top of it, and hits my face, which is where I need it.

Edited: 5:36 pm, June 07, 2012
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

LOL Octoberluver about the genius comment. I sooo wish that fan at the Grand was over the bed!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

>>LOL Octoberluver about the genius comment. I sooo wish that fan at the Grand was over the bed!<<

I'm sure there's a reason for it, but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

There are also not enough outlets in the room. I need to remember to bring a small extension cord with me in November, because every time I plug the fan in, I have to unplug the lamp or the clock.

jersey
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cant sleep without a fan

I think the fan at the Grand is so you can put your bathing suits on a chair, And they pretty much dry by morning