We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's end the towel game

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Let's end the towel game

We will be arriving at the Grand June 14th and will NOT be playing the towel game. Why revert to such childish beahvior in such a civilized resort? There are more than enough chairs and palapas to accomodate everyone. When I go to the beach, I will choose an unoccupied palapa. I will not "reserve" chairs for my personal use if I am not actually using them. When I choose to change locations, I will take my belongings with me and leave those chairs for the next people. If everyone vows to do this, we will all have a much more enjoyable vacation. Is anybody else on board?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's end the towel game

Great idea!

Count me in! Let's see how that works at the Now Jade in July.

Beechluver

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's end the towel game

Heading to Grand 5/29-6/4. I never understood they need to wake up at 6am o save a beach/pool chair. It's illogical. Never played the towel game and don't plan on starting now!. 1st time to the Grand and I can't wait!

florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's end the towel game

All I can say is...you're going to love the Grand. Happy to hear you're anti towel-game. Kudos!!

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's end the towel game

I have no issues getting up early and reserving a good spot. My issue is when people don't show up until noon to use the spot.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's end the towel game

I totally agree we will be there 1st june - 22nd june and will not be partaking in the silly towel game

florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's end the towel game

In December I was at the Valentin Imperial Maya for a quick 5 day getaway. I watched a couple at the beach reserve 8 chairs at 4 different locations on the beach using magazines, flip-flops etc. I then followed them back to the pool area where they proceeded to to the same at five different locations around the pool. That was 18 chairs for only 2 people. The amount of junk they were toting around just to use for reserving unused chairs was mind boggling. Needless to say, virtually no seats available as these were clearly not the only people doing this. Lucky for me, I knew who I could steal a seat from without them knowing.

Guernsey, UK
Level Contributor
397 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's end the towel game

Sounds like utopia... But if you want some shade by the pool then you'll have to join the game. I'm very tempted to move some towels this year, if the chair is vacant more than one hour then I'm taking it, I loathe people who grab a chair by the pool in the sun, one in the shade and one on the beach (oh yes they do!) I'm ok as dark, but my sister is a fair, blue eyed, blond, who has had moles removed so has to be really careful. Last year we got one shaded palapa by the tranc pool and shared it between the 4 of us.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's end the towel game

"if the chair is vacant more than one hour then I'm taking it"

One hour? You have to give people time to have breakfast or lunch. I agree that people should not reserve multiple chairs but we should not have to rush our meals to avoid losing our seats.

When there are no chairs available has anyone talked with an employee and if so have they been able to help?

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Let's end the towel game

I have no problem moving towels either if the party is clearly not coming back or has been gone a very long time. It is ridiculous! If they come back, which they rarely do, then they can explain why they were saving the chairs for an unreasonable amount of time and ask me to move. Which I will be happy to do.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's end the towel game

If you go to lunch - give up your chair to someone else. Why should a chair sit vacant for 90 min when there are people looking for one?

I believe a chair is "taken" when there is someone sitting in it or playing/swimming nearby. Not at breakfast, lunch, the beach (if it's a pool chair) the pool (if it's a beach chair) or on an excursion.

PS

I do move towels if no one is sitting in the chair or nearby but I ask politely first if no one has been using the chair for at least an hour.

Beechluver