We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

I'm not sure if everybody missed it but me, but in a recent review on this site someone said they were bitten by bed bugs. I haven't stopped stratching yet!

Then, on the "other" Iberostar site someone said they witnessed a room being treated for this problem and knew from being in the pest control business that the methods being used were totally ineffectual. I am reading more and more about this problem everywhere and what freaks me out the most is that you can easily bring them home with you and that they are really difficult to get rid of. I read that it's not an issue of cleanliness but rather the huge increase in global travel with people bringing them from place to place. YUK! I just hope this spectacular resort gets it together and rids itself of this problem because I really want to go back.

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

So sorry about your bites. We were at the Riu Palace in jan and I got bites that woke me up at night. Even when I got home I had to get up and put anti itch gel on to get back to sleep. Another TA member told me it could have been sand fleas. If you donot get all the sand off your before returning to your room they come with you. Others said it was probabally noseeums. I do think that may have been the case because I felt them at night while outside. Did your travel partner get any bites? My husband,and son got none my daughter had a few. The good news is they are gone a few days after you get home and nothing appeared to have come home with us. We are going to the grand 3/28 I will bring spray

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

NTT- We didn't have this problem it was in a recent TA review.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

I really find this hard to believe...the Grand is exceptionally clean and the sheets are snow white - you would definitely see bed bugs in your bed. That being said, we did get mosquito bites that sometimes don't bother you until you are in bed - my guess is that was the problem, or else they got the sand flea bites. Everyone also needs to remember - this is Mexico - there are bugs there - you will likely get bitten by something. Trust me, I am a Canadian, but we live in Mexico, and no matter how many times you fumigate your house, or how clean you are, there will still be bugs in your house - it is a fact of life here that you just get used to. Everyone in Mexico, hotels included, fumigate on a regular basis, so just because they were seen fumigating a room does not mean there is a problem, just routine business. To say that this resort has a "problem" is irresponsible based on 1 person's report of bites.

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

these sound more like sand fleas. They are brutal in places like Punta Cana too - and leave welts on some people's legs. I remember getting so bitten up one night I couldn't sleep in Punta Cana - then I wore socks to bed rest of the trip. But the sand was everywhere and the cleaning staff was less than energetic about sweeping it so we were bringing them in all week long and they were going to bed with us all night long.

Bed bugs are very visible to the eye and can be seen by pulling the top mattress seams back and forth with your fingers under the bedding. The size of a ladybug. I too have heard however, they are making a big comeback in the US NYC and Florida hotels especially because of the amount of European travelers bringing them in. In our local newspaper it stated Bedbugs were all but eliminated from the US during the 60's / 70's and 80's however are making a comeback, and can be transported easily in one's luggage with soiled bed clothes.

Our rule of thumb - put our dirty soiled laundry in plastic laundry bags inside our suitcases - keep luggage off the floor, and clean everything once at home with hot water.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

From what I've read bed bugs are brought to a room via someone's luggage. It could happen at any resort. They are brought in by a guest. Of course it is up to the resort to get rid of them with the proper procedure. Hopefully the Grand did that if they were really bed bugs. I've also read many times that bed bug bites are often mistaken for sand flea bites. Excellence had a review this past summer of them having bed bugs (even had a picture of the girls swollen leg with the bites) and a few reviews posted info on it. I think sometimes this happens and they have to get rid of it. I would think that a worldwide resort chain like Iberostar would know what to do if it was indeed bed bugs. Hopefully it was sand fleas.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

We have just returned from our 2nd stay at the Grand and we did not encounter any problems with bugs of any sort nor did we hear of any such reports from other guests. The rooms are kept immaculately clean. So I would not let this isolated report stop you from going back.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

I totally agree with the level of cleanliness at the Grand but, as I mentioned, that's not really the cause. I also agree with the fact that bites could have come from outside the room. What bothered me is the follow-up on the forum, from the person in the pest control business who claimed to have seen staff treating the room for that specific problem with an ineffectual method. Someone also re-enforced the fact that there is now a resurgance of this problem with global travel so it's happening everywhere but proper treatment and viligence is the key. They're not visible on the sheets but hide in the mattress seams until you get into bed. YUK YUK YUK!!!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

After reading on here about bed bugs at various resorts, I did my own research. I learned what to look for, what bed bugs look like, and what signs to look for. When we got to Mexico, the first thing I did before we moved our luggage completely into the room was lift the sheets and examine the mattress carefully. No bugs!

Later in the week I was bitten rather severely by mosquitoes out on a golf course at dusk. I never felt the bites when they happened (like at home) but because several of us were in the same boat, we saw one another being bit. The bites did not itch for at least a day or so. If I hadn't seen them at the time, I would never have known it was mosquitoes and might have assumed bed bugs. Then again, it may well have been sand fleas as well. (I had lots of bites when I got home!) Some of the bites didn't even start to itch until more than a week after returning home.

My point? There are all sorts of biting things that make one itch. Don't assume that they're bed bugs unless you actually see them, or someone indicates they have actually seen the bugs. Also, the exterminator should not assume that that particular room was being treated for bed bugs. They might have been treating for any number of insects. Just do you research, know what to look for, and make sure you do so before you bring your luggage in.

FYI, the outside research I did says that looking for bedbugs before bringing luggage into a room should be done at any hotel, including those in the US, because of the increase in infestations. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness of a place, or newness, etc.

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

aweturn had the right idea - research what to look for and determine if they are there.

Here's a good article for travelers:

…about.com/od/hotelsecrets/a/bed_bugs.htm

wisconsin
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed Bugs at the Grand !!!!

I have been to St. Thomas & Texas & come home with bites all over my legs! Some people...ESPECIALLY ME...seem to get the bites more than others. I've been told no-seeums, sand fleas, & mosqitoes....as well as "Don't Know"...but it was soo bad this past October in Texas, I had to go & get some Benadryl for the swelling!

Next trip ANYWHERE south....I'll go prepared for whatever kind of bug likes me!!

And...in all my travels, I've never encountered bed bugs!! (knock on wood!!)