We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Looking at our 4th family trip to Riviera Maya area in late May/early June with our 21 and 12 year old kids. We've previously stayed at the IB Beach once and Grand Palladium twice with the kids.

We have narrowed the list down to Sandos Playacar, IB Maya or IB Lindo. Right now, Maya is several hundred more than the Lindo. Is it worth it to spend more for Maya?

We do not care about the wet area at the spa and not really sure what the hype is about the snake bar (must be missing something there). I can't figure out which restaurants are only for Maya guests and can't be used by the Lindo guests. Are they worth it?

I know the Maya has elevators and slightly larger rooms as well. What other perks does Maya have over the Lindo?

I know this gets asked a lot, but I'm having trouble finding a breakdown of what Maya gets that Lindo does not. Reviews for both are very similar too.

Thanks for any help provided.

32 replies to this topic
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

I don’t recall if the lazy river/wave pool are included for Lindo guests (we stayed at the Maya). If not, you probably would find the up charge worth it.

Maya restaurants include a very good Japanese hibachi place that we and our kids loved, a good steak house, and a formal seafood place that we did not try with the kids.

I’m sure others will be along with more information.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
9,169 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

The lazy river and the wave pool ARE included for the Lindo. The Maya gives you a couple extra restaurants and as you stated, elevators and access to spa wet areas.

Guests of the Lindo can use the Hibachi restaurant at the IB Del Mar/Beach so the fact that you can't use the one at the Maya is no big deal. There are plenty bars to use besides the Snake Bar.

If it's not a large sum, then upgrade. If not, use that money for an excursion.

New York
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

The buffet and main pool are also common to the two of them. Doesn't sound like it would benefit you to upgrade. like schmerl said go on an excursion with the money difference.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Short answer. YES.

Long Answer: Depends on the cost.

Since i eat nightly at an A La Carte, the extra restaurants are a nice extra.

Love hanging around the snake bar at night (along with nearby cigar lounge).

During the morning, also stopped by the cafe in lobby area.

You can also go to the Seafood restaurant in the morning for an enclosed breakfast.

Near the pool there's a dedicated restaurant as well.

So, if you don't care about the extra restaurants and bars, etc. then stick with the Lindo.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Thank you all for the comments.

Right now, Maya is pricing at $376 more for our dates. We don't really need more restaurants since when we travel with the kids, we make it to only 3 in a week and end up doing buffet the rest of the time. We won't do any formal restaurants either, so no worries there.

One more question, are the alcohol choices in Maya better than Lindo or are those choices the same unless you stay at the adult only Grand section?

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Seems like the Lindo is a perfect fit for you. Keep in mind that you will also have access to the Beach/Del Mar sections of the complex. These 2 resorts are usually cheaper so that might be an option as well.

Not sure if there is a difference in "top shelf" liquor between these 2 resorts.

Denver
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

I’m also looking at this resort for our family. We have younger kids (4&7). Curious to hear what your views on the grand palladium having stayed there twice and what drew you to this resort?

Several members have suggested that resort over this one. However, oyster and trip advisor rate the Iberostar Lindo and Maya higher.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

BroomfieldCPA, we've been twice to the GP with our kids and once without in the AO section. Our 1st visit we stayed in the White Sands section. Our kids were 4 and 13. Our 2nd visit with them was in the Kantennah section was last August and the kids were 10 and 19. It did not live up to our expectations from our previous visits. There was just one thing after another that was disappointing. We love the grounds, beach, salt water pool, etc, but the unfriendly, unhappy staff, disappointing service and lower quality food was a let down.

Several years ago, we stayed at IB Beach and liked the resort as well, even though food was a huge disappointment there. This is a big concern for us with the IB Lindo and Maya resorts as well.

Sandos Playacar is high on our list too, but worried the resort itself will disappoint since the GP and IB Paraiso resorts are so amazing with so much to see and do.

You can click my name to read my review of the GP from last year if you like. Feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Denver
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Super helpful. Thank you. This just affirmed to me that I am on the right track with the Iberostar resorts here. Though I’m giving very serious consideration to the Barcelo Maya. Happy vacationing!

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?

Good luck with your search! We eliminated the Barcelo complex due to lack of palapas one the beach (my son and I are very fair and need good shade) and the small dolphin pool there. Everyone's wants and needs are different though. :)

Reply to: Is IB Maya worth the upcharge from IB Lindo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted