We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Safety

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
BC
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resort Safety

We will be staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya resort in September. I have been hearing a lot in the media the last few days about tainted alcohol and tourists being drugged in relation to the Iberostar chain. Has anyone heard anything about this or comment?

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
5,576 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
25 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Safety

As said in the previous post you are posting in the Tenerife forum, you should be in the one for Mexico.

Edited: 2:13 pm, July 28, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
2. Re: Resort Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 14, 2017

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Safety

Wrong destination forum this is Tenerife, not Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
north west england
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
534 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Safety

Flagged to the moderators, so they can move it to the correct forum

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Safety

just returned from Iberostar Beach, all very safe & friendly, no problems with the drinks

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
5,726 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Safety

There are countless threads on this subject. Just scroll down the index. Don't expect to see your post last long.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Safety

There are several discussions about the "tainted alcohol" story in the higher forums, check the main Q.Roo forum. In short though, despite news reports that tainted alcohol was found the actual COFEPRIS report says nothing of the sort. There is no report that any tainted alcohol was found during the inspections or at any other time. Some people have alleged they were served tainted alcholol but there is no proof of that.

The Iberostar bars (and the others cited) weren't found to have adulterated alcohol but got cited for other violations. For Iberostar it was not having labeled sanitizer at the bars, a water leak in the bar area, a drain cover that moves, not sanitizing temp probes properly, and unsanitary storage probably related to the temp issues. The press release also states expired alcohol was a problem at several locations but I don't know of many or any alcohol with expiration dates (other than some beers and then those are best buy dates). The unlabled alcohol is a concern though but even that wasn't reported to be tainted or adulterated just unlabled which could mean labels came off but the report is too vague to know. It's also possible the unlabeled alcohol was the tap beer since the taps often don't have the brand of beer on then at resorts which would make it unlabeled. The report doesn't say if the unlabeled stuff was liquor or beer or wine.

There was 10,000 gallons seized from a manufacturer for unsanitary conditions but even that wasn't reported as tainted/adulterated. The report doesn't say if this was hard liquor or beer.

You can find the official COFEPRIS press release here (but will need to translate it unless you read Spanish)

https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/prensa/cofepris-…

Annville, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Safety

My wife and I are supposed to go back to the Grand for our 7th time in September, we're really thinking about changing resorts because of all of this. I've emailed the hotel twice to get some assurance that they are working on these issues, but I haven't received a response.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Safety

I'm the opposite, i'm probably booking the Maya because of the issues.... need to show support....

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
9,116 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort Safety

They are under close scrutiny so will be going above and beyond to make sure everything is OK.

Reply to: Resort Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted