We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

I will be staying at Iberostar in Paraiso next month and I'm planning a couple of day trips. Instead of Playa del Carmen I'm considering a trip to Puerto Morelos. Looking for some authentic Mexican food (I hear the resort is not the place for this) and some Mexican craft shops (ceramics, silver). We really plan on spending most of our time at the beach/pool relaxing, but can't miss the opportunity to see a little of the Mexican culture when we are there. (Our other excursion will most likely be Tulum and cenotes.) Thanks for any advice!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
216 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

Hi meo3girls:

Our last trip to PDC -3 years ag0-we spent a day at Puerto Morelos. Very quiet and laid back sleepy town-beach was nearly empty the day we were there There are a few beach clubs-Unico is on North End but we went to one just to the right of the main pier in the center of town-cant remember the name. Lots of little hole in the wall places and Pelicanos is a great restaurant right on the water. We ate at Roger Rabbits which is on a side street-it was like someone opened up their home to us to cook for us. We didn't do much shopping so I can't recommend any silver or ceramic shops. This must be what PDC was like many years ago-no hustle and bustle and crowds.

We are heading to PDC in a few weeks and may end up in PM depending on the beach conditions in North end of PDC.

We have also stayed at Iberostar Playa Paraiso too and Puerto Morelos would probably be a great day or half day trip for sure. Probably 15 minutes from your hotel.

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

Thank you for the quick reply. Based on what you are telling me about Puerto Morelos, it sounds like it may be just perfect for us!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

We had lunch at John Grays Kitchen and wandered around a bit. Loved the lunch, and the town is cute and quaint. Was glad we checked it out.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

For a fun time you could book a class at the Little Mexican Cooking School in Puerto Morelos.

http://www.thelittlemexicancookingschool.com/

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

Thanks for the feedback!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

Puerto Morelos by the water is a beach town. Lots of huge homes, condos, little places to stay, all very pretty. I loved walking around rubber necking. It's not very big. Very quiet. The beach is one of the nicest. Plan to spend some time walking the beach and at a beach club. The pueblo is on the other side of the highway. Some good eats on both sides.

If you like to snorkel or would like to try, you'll be in the right place. The boats have gear if you don't and they seemed to be really good with the beginners on the boats. You can go with one of the dive shops or do what I did, catch the next boat out from the coop by the dock just east of the square. You won't regret it. The reef is still in pretty good shape and it's not far off shore which is a bonus. $20US.

There is a artisans market in the square where you may find things you are interested in. Not sure what their schedule is. Read up on ceramics so you know the difference between a Hernandez Talavera or other regional piece and a mass produced piece. I used to buy silver but don't often do so any more. You have to be careful and I only buy at trusted stores. I don't have one in Puerto Morelos so can't help you with that.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
216 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

I collect Talavera Pottery and only buy if it's made in Puebla, has the name Talavera on it and usually has the artists name on bottom. Also the glaze is white and bottom ring around base is terra cotta color. And it's heavier than the fake stuff. Hoping it's the real thing! 4 weeks from now I will be waking to the beautiful birds chirping in PDC and deciding which beach to spend tfe day at-ahhhhhhh...

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

PM is always a good idea to me! If you are staying at Iberostar complex there is a taco place at the common area that is good.

If you go to PM try to combine a snorkel trip with your visit. For about $25pp you can go out and snorkel the second largest coral reef in the world. Do it after shopping and just leave your stuff on the boat if you buy pottery. There are some great places to eat and drink in town. Tacos.com is a favorite of mine but dont look for iit on line. They don't own that site or any site for that matter. I doubt they even have a computer. Have a couple of drinks at Cantina Habanero. Think Jimmy Beffett / Ernest Hemingway typy town. Both are rumored to have spent time there.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

We enjoyed our half day in PM, yummy seafood at pelicanos and a bit of souvenir shopping, and found our favorite coconut popsicles at the little convenience store.. The beach is wonderful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth a trip to Puerto Morelos?

wow thanks everyone for all the information and to the OP for asking, I will be doing most everything or at least try to when I go with my wife and son in mid May. Except snorkel, as I don't know how to swim and only go into water till about my chest lol.