We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigars in Bayahibe area

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cigars in Bayahibe area

Hi there, will be staying in Dreams and have promised a friend that we will bring home cigars for their wedding ! Any recommendations for the best place to buy ? Anyone taken any of the trips to factories ? Don't want to have to spend the whole day out and happy to take a taxi etc

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigars in Bayahibe area

Either you can go to couple of them in Dominicus, 5 minute taxi ride (10 USD each way) from Dreams, or you can go for a private tour to visit a factory in Otra Banda (about 30 minute drive) and have even private labels done. Please email me to denise@discoverbayahibe.com for more details.

Denise

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigars in Bayahibe area

I had started a thread asking for info on cigars before we left for Dreams and I got some feedback but not very much. I had expected to find lower prices than I pay on line at Cigars international and Thompson's but I was mistaken. But we didn't go to the cigar factories in La Romana and more importantly in Santo Domingo. So our choices of fresh, properly-stored cigars were limited to a few cigar shops in the Bayahibe/Dominicus areas and the Dreams cigar shop. Prices were a little lower than the on line prices except at Dreams of course. I'm a Macanudo affectionado and am enjoying a box I bought while there. I ales bought a box of cigars made at Bayahibe Fine Cigars (BFG) in Dominicus.

Are you looking for cigars that will be given out at a wedding reception or as a gift to the groom? If the former I would look at the Romeo Julieta or similarly-priced brands which are premium cigars. I also like the cigars I bought from BFG and the prices were not ridiculous. They have different aged tobaccos for different price levels. I chose the 3-year half-coronas to save money and they are very enjoyable, the 5-year I tried for free was excellent but more expensive of course. If you want to impress your friends and money isn't a concern look at Davidoff, end of story.

So for serious cigar buying you'll want to head for La Romana at least unless you wNt to check out BFG first.

DO NOT buy cigars from the stores in town where they are not stored in a humidor, or from the vendors who come to the resort. Even though these are in sealed boxes they are usually garbage and you get what you pay for.

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigars in Bayahibe area

Thanks for the info Bluewater, the groom has asked us to purchase about 30 of them and is used to something pretty good so thanks for the advice re brands as I'm totally clueless, I'd probably go for the prettiest box ! I'm sure my husband will enjoy sampling the options however!

Denise I love the idea of getting personalised labels, will email you for more info!

Thanks again !

4. Re: Cigars in Bayahibe area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2015