We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams La Romana

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams La Romana

Hi

We are thinking of booking Dreams for 2 weeks in November, we will be taking our 2 children also , could anyone give me information regarding what the weather will be like and also I'm a bit concerned over the reviews of late with tummy issues , i don't want my kids to become ill so it spoils their holiday , has anyone been lately that has had any problems and what would you put it down to? I'm not sure i believe all the stuff like hot weather and not enough water that are to blame, we are well traveled and haven't had any major problems at any other country we have visited .

Many thanks in advance .

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams La Romana

Just remember not to drink the water out of the tap, including brushing you teeth. The ice and water they serve is filtered, so no problem.

No more or less problems than any other resort on the island.

We loved it there.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams La Romana

I think that most of the ilnesses you see reported are due to the fact that the posters were cooped up in an airplane with other sick people.

This winter, there were many gastrointestinal problems at home.

I can guarantee you that unless I was on death's door, there is no way I would not have gotten on that plane for my vacation. I simply could not afford to reschedule my vacation and part of it was non refundable. If I was sick, then unfortunately that would have meant that the people I travelled with would have had a high likelyhood of getting sick a few days after going down. It then becomes a circle of illness - I give it to you, 3 days later you give it to someone else, etc.

My belief is that it is less due to poor hygene at the resort and more due to being confined with other sick travellers.

That being said, do not drink the water or brush your teeth with tap water!

Edited: 7:39 pm, February 24, 2013
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
490 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams La Romana

I love the place. Regarding weather we were there for the first week of November 2010 and experienced a brush with a hurricane that hit Haiti. We just had lots of rain and wind up to 30 mph. After the middle of November you should be out of hurricane danger. The weather is very warm and the ocean water is very comfortable.

As far as upset stomachs are concerned, just be cautious. Don't drink a freshly cut coconut since it is a very effective laxative. I brushed my teeth with tap water and had no problem. Use lots of hand sanitizer and bring your own bubba mug. I'm not convinced the rinsing and sterilizing they do at the bars with their glasses is 100% perfect. The food is very good there. Enjoy.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams La Romana

You can follow my posts about current weather in Bayahibe, where Dreams La Romana is, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/discoverbayahibe

If you don't use Facebook you can read the same at http://www.discoverbayahibe.com/

You can also watch live webcam from Bayahibe at http://bayahibewebcam.com/

November is officially the end of the hurricane season, but like any time of the year, you never know how the weather will be. When Happy Campers were here, they were "lucky" to experience some rainy / windy days, last year wasn't like that at all.

As for the stomach issues, I cannot agree more with dotneko. Many people come here sick, or they get sick just before their vacation and then it spread to all around. And we, living here, get all the viruses that tourists bring and get sick too. I was sick for almost two weeks and didn't go or eat at any resort around here. When you read the post at different forums or social networks, people were sick all over the world. It's just easier to blame it on the resorts I guess :)

Happy travel

Denise

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams La Romana

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all your replies , Its put my mind at rest , the hotel looks amazing , cant wait to get it booked for early November. :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams La Romana

Was there a few years ago..nice place and had a great time..you'll enjoy it!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams La Romana

When you check in, ask to see other rooms and ask about upgrades.

If they aren't full, they will give you a great deal.

They upgraded us to a suite for less than $100/day.

It can't hurt to ask.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams La Romana

Hi

Ok will see what room we get and if we dont like it will look at others , it said on the booking that we would be getting a suite for 4 people so hopefully it will be nice !

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
515 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams La Romana

Keep the kids on hard spirits and avoid the water

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams La Romana

Oh My goodness is it that bad ? i was suspicious about the water , dont worry i havent booked yet still dare not do it, im keeping my eye on the reviews!!!