We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

To all you Dreams "lovers"/ experts".

As some of you may know, i am going to be at Dreams La Romana at the end of may...

What top 5 or more...things must i do when i am there???

Such at eating, drinking, seeing, doing etc etc.

Thanks

Cat.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

Hola Cat...

Even though I am in Mexico at the Moment...some of the things I love at Dreams LaRomana are...

Having a Chichikakapooka (great drink with oj, cream of coco and rum) at the lobby bar!

Watching the SUN set on the Pier or in the Ocean Front Jacuzzi!

Having some Spa Treatments in the Spa there...AH!!!

Walking into Bayahibe for a stroll

Having lunch at Seaside Grill

Dinner at ANY and ALL of the Ala Cartes!

Enjoy your time at "Mi Seguna Casa"...a part of my heart always remains there no matter where I may wander!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

Sounds good to me, will add to my list.

Cat

indiana
Level Contributor
197 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

In no specific order:

Walk to edge of jungle/property for incredible sunset photos-we were shocked how few people were out to see them.

Eat great meals at outstanding dining options.

Ease into to clear water and find a small ray and hang out together for a while.

Relax on very nice beach with cold beverage of choice.

Take 1/2 day tour with Gigi to Catalina.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

On top of the standard tourist recommendations of a trip to Saona Island and Catalina Island (I think Seavis offers some of the best options...check with them early if you're interested, so you can see what they're running on the days you're there and if there's still room on the boat since their numbers are limited) and the others highlighted above, I always like to recommend a few things that will cost you very little money, are done on your schedule and are among the things that have given me the greatest pleasure over my years of traveling to Dreams La Romana and Bayahibe.

I suggest taking advantage of snorkeling from the beach of the hotel. People pay money for a snorkeling opportunity like that! Try the early morning, mid-day and late afternoon to get a cross section on clarity of water and variety of fish seen. Also ensure that you visit all of the various reef areas at your disposal in front of the resort and down the coast past the pier.

Next, take in the sun setting into the Caribbean from a different location each night. If you have any sort of a west facing room, sit on your balcony/terrace. Roost on a stool at the beach bar so the beach is in the foreground of your pictures. Sit on the beach, with your toes nearly in the water with the pier and the log brought in by storms of October 2008 in your pictures. Lean on the fence on the pier with the pelicans swooping while you look down the coast. Head down to Bayahibe and rest on the paved marina mooring with Punta Bayahibe on one side and the village behind you, or better yet, take a seat upstairs at Mare Nostrum and enjoy a cerveza while taking in the sights. I have pictures of all of this if you'd like to see a sample of what you might be able to witness!

Sunset or not, going into Bayahibe is absolutely a must do. It's a cute and vibrant little village (pics at http://travel.webshots.com/album/563221847ytecdr).

I also recommend the new Punta Bayahibe historical and archeological trail. It is the point that you see when you look left from the DLR beach where the green church and yellow school are located, and takes 10 minutes to walk there. You will find there a description of the culture and background and population and flora/fauna of Bayahibe, as well as being able to see the site where archeologists discovered evidence of the oldest civilization in the Caribbean. You will see the excavated artifacts from a community that lived on the point in 2000 BC. There is also a forest of Pereskya Quisqueyana trees, affectionately known as the "Rose of Bayahibe" since this is the only spot in the world that this species is found. When I was there in April, it was the first time I'd seen it in bloom and it's gorgeous! You'll only find the flowers throughout the summer months, April to September. There is a $1 admittance fee, but I found it worth that many times over, plus a tip for our tour guide! I have an album of pictures of what you'll see posted at travel.webshots.com/album/563635864YIXmtH

Not a standard "must see", but a must do is to get to know the staff at the hotel. So many of them speak English and/or French and/or Italian and communication may not be as difficult as it would seem. If the first person really doesn't know enough of your language and you don't know enough of their's to get a discussion under way, try the next person! Between the waiters and concierge and bellmen and entertainment team, you'll find many that will become instant buddies to you. The waiters are great for coming to chat when you're sitting in somebody else's section at the Beach Party and may call you over when you enter the restaurant they usually work in so you can sit in their section. The people at this hotel make up the reason why I keep returning to the resort!!

Make sure you take a meal at the Jungle Bar on the beach. They offer a traditional Dominican menu and there aren't many places where you can dine with your toes in the sand.

I prefer only doing an excursion a week, max 1.5 days out of 7 since I don't really enjoy a schedule, and I can't afford the money for anything more. Other than that, I can't really sit in the sun for that long, I never drink to get drunk, and my mind is usually too active to read. That means I fill my time in a myriad of other ways, mostly in getting to know this wondrous part of the world. Take a walk around exploring corners where you find nobody else. This is a large and diverse property offering lots to see. Ensure you include the Metamorphosis Spa with its organized and planned gardens, ponds and bridges, as well as the Jungle Spa tucked into the jungle on the west side of the property. The springs, ducks and butterflies in these environs are spectacular.

Kaki

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

Hi Cat

How lucky are we - with all of this to look forward to at the end of May.

The fab supporters of these forums have shared their feelings as well as their tips and I am so looking forward to being able to have some very special moments and memories.

Ohhhhhhhh 6 weeks today will be travelling to MAnchester to fly on the Sunday can`t wait!.

Thanx to you all for taking the time to share!!!

Jean x

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

If your budget will run to it, may I recommend the romantic dinner? We enjoyed ours after our vow renewal ceremony on Thursday. It was absolutely delicious, we were totally stuffed and sorry we couldn't eat it all!! There are 2 menu choices - we chose the lobster. We began with water and champagne, seafood salad, mixed breads, fish soup, lobster, grouper with rice and crisp veggies (I hate it when they're overcooked!) followed by a yummy strawberry shortcake. We were offered other wines but declined, having consumed much champagne during the day. I finished my dinner with a coffee con leche, we were offered apperitifs but declined. We were absolutely stuffed and we were tired after our very happy day. Dinner for two is $150 - you have your own private waiter. We did our vow renewal at the end of the pier and enjoyed our dinner surrounded by candlelight in the wedding gazebo with the incoming tide as dinner music. Very romantic!!

You also might enjoy catching the free gua gua in the morning from the lobby and heading over to Dominicus to explore the village and walk the public beach. There is more beach to walk there than at DLR, but the water is nowhere near as clear, nor as gentle. There are many shops and a thriving Italian community there to explore.

We have walked to Bayahibe several times. We enjoy the village and have partaken of the hospitality of the Cafe Cubana at the end of the beach on the edge of the village. Excellent service - wonderful coffee!!

I have noticed too, that many tourists are not friendly toward the staff (or other tourists sometimes!) Please have a ready smile for the staff, bring a good Latin American phrase book and make a bit of an effort. The staff will be pleased to help you out, you will feel more a part of the area and I believe you will make your own holiday all the more memorable with all the new friends you will make here.

We are definitely returning!!

Storm

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

Thanks so much to everyone, who has taken time out to provide such super infomation...

Trip Avdisor rocks!!....

A quick question, with regards to the Snorkeling can we hire from the hotel a mask and snorkel???....as it will save us taking our own.

Cat.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

Yes, you can pick up the snorkel, mask and fins from Gri Gri at the end of the beach. They do "clean" them, but many of us prefer to bring our own even if it takes up space since then you know whose mouth was last on the mouthpiece and to guarantee a good fit. No need to bring fins since they're easily borrowed, but you don't need fins for snorkeling at the hotel anyway.

I like to use water shoes though and don't feel comfortable going out barefoot for the potential of stepping on a broken bottle or an errant black spiny urchin, or a sand diver!

Kaki

9. Re: Must do things at Dreams La Romana??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, October 23, 2009