We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams beach and old ship

Edmonton
2 posts
Save Topic
Dreams beach and old ship

My wife and I were at Dreams for 2 great weeks in early January.

We really enjoyed the Hotel and the staff.

Snorkelling is pretty good along the reef directly in front of the main beach - be careful of the boat traffic!

When we first arrived there was an old ship tied to the point just past the resort towards la romana and there were workers salvaging some parts of this old wreck. Later they moved the ship over more directly in front of the hotel. Does anyone know what they had planned for that old ship? We were wondering if they were going to sink it to make an artificial reef.

Mark 1

Pro excursions Bayahibe
Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Casa Daniel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours
Scubafun
Scuba & Snorkeling
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

That is indeed the plan. It is the responsibility of the owner of the ship to take care of its' removal or sinking and it looks like they need some time to arrange financing and the sinking. It was to happen any time now so could even be done now or this week. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Kaki

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

The ship Atlantic Princess is all striped and ready to be sunk as soon as the owner comes back to Dominican Republic (that is the last what we've heard) The current location is probably not deep enough, there are some rules about depth and size of ships, so they might be moving it little bit farther.

We are watching it every day, as soon as there is something happening, we will get on our boat and take pictures and make some video from a closer distance. I will post it as soon as I have it.

Denise

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
229 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

Cool....I did not know anything about this. I seen some pics of the ship, but I thought it was gone.

Edmonton
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

Thanks to those that responded.

I really wondered if that ship was going to become an underwater reef.

We had a too close look at it one day by accident while sailing one of the hotel catamarans. We got stuck on the seaward side with the wind swirling to the point we were actually going backwards getting closer and closer to the ship!

Luckily we were finally able to get a little wind in the sail to move us past the ship!

Mark 1

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

I hear they are having problems with Medio Ambiente (Ministry of Natural Resourses)as they want to sink it closer to the coast than where its really allowed.

I really hope that when they do sink it, the tour guides don't start lying and making up stories to tourists about some invnted history of the ship... as they do in other places with other wrecks...

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

My husband asks the people on the Atlantis Princess every time he goes by on our boat and until recently they kept saying it will be soon. But last time, I believe it was 2 days ago, they said that there are some problems (I guess what Monica said above)and the owner might take it somewhere else. If I hear something new I'll keep you posted.

Denise

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

We heard the rumor that the owner has been offered to sink it at "La Caleta", outside Santo Domingos Airport, where there is a National Underwater Park with several ship wrecks and caves, but the owner is not interested in bringing it there.

The rumor is that he doesn't want to because for him its obviously a businness, as he will be getting money from the excursions made to HIS wreck.

So, if the wreck is at non-tourist area, like La Caleta, he wouldn't get the amount of money we would get at a place like Bayahibe.

I think its fare for him to decide where, (as long as its allowed by "Medio Ambiente'), as he should be entitled to decide where he wants to invest his money.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

Yes, I agree it's his ship, so he can decide what is the best for him.

Too bad it's taking that long and changing all the time. The divers and snorkelers in Bayahibe area got very excited in December about having a new wreck to explore. And now it looks like it might happen.

Denise

9. Re: Dreams beach and old ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 22, 2009