We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time does the sun set in early April?

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What time does the sun set in early April?

Hoping BB or Kaki or any other spring DR visitors to La Romana can advise me on the sunset hour for approximately April 9th?

Reason is I'm looking to confirm my ROV time with the hotel as the photographer I've hired has another wedding that day and has requested I confirm a time. I want enough light for the ceremony plus time after for some great sunset shots on the beach and in the gardens.

I will also say that I've hired a local photographer from Bayahibe whose work has blown me away - I am excited and thrilled that all has fallen into place so many months in advance of the trip. Now I can relax and just count the sleeps because all is in place and I'm ready to pack!!

Many thanks to all who've made this such an easy, stress-free process!

Hugs to All,

Storm

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

I happen to know this! Sunset through the beginning 2 weeks of April is a couple of minutes before and a couple of minutes after 6:55 p.m., so will be at about 6:55 on the 9th. Bear in mind that the best time to capture the great sunset pics is after the sun has dropped.

Those of you who know me may not find it surprising to know that I actually have pictures of the sunset from April 9, 2008!!! Here are a few, but there are more in the album, including video of the sun dipping into the Caribbean:

…webshots.com/photo/2353131830064234328wkVxAM

…webshots.com/photo/2167852440064234328ZyzwOW

…webshots.com/photo/2201293890064234328pYTaVv

…webshots.com/photo/2128328990064234328uymerm

…webshots.com/photo/2622737870064234328lddRNb

…webshots.com/photo/2200108200064234328KRudoS

The problem with the end of the series is that I was walking back from Bayahibe and in a rush to get to my room. I stuck it out for the sunset, but didn't wait for the flare so can't share that.

You can also get an idea on the ambient lighting and if a gentle flash were used, you would be lit and it wouldn't interfere with the sunset hues. You can also see some pictures looking back toward Bayahibe where it hardly even looks like sunset at all, with it bright and rosy. They wouldn't look like traditional sunset pictures, but again you see the light that you can take advantage of when facing into the sun, for example:

…webshots.com/photo/2392424230064234328sdJumE

If you scroll down the right hand side of the Webshots page, you can see where it says that the picture was taken on April 9 which is data imbedded into the picture that was loaded. I'm not making it up!

I'm so glad all your plans are falling into perfect place one by one! You deserve it all.

Kaki

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

P.S. I just checked further imbedded data and found out that the picture "Sea, sun and sky" (…webshots.com/photo/2167852440064234328ZyzwOW) was taken at 6:44 p.m. so you can get an idea as to how much time you have to play with. Another 10 minutes and the sun is gone.

Kaki

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

Kaki honey, you rock!! Thanks once again for your most valuable help ~ I owe you big time.

Hugs, Storm

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

Hola Sweetie!

I have found this site to be helpful in figuring the time of the sunsets...and sunrises...

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

and this is another helpful site I use too...

www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php…

I know that your DREAMS are going to be coming true and no one deserves it more than you Sweet Girl!

Hugs,

bb/mt

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

Aw, thanks BB. Those links will come in handy for my early mornings! I am used to rising early as I leave for work around 5:00 - 5:30 am every day.

I imagine I will be up and about while most everyone else at the resort is snoozing - it will be a great "quiet" time to capture sunrise and other special shots. It's such a peaceful time of day.

I really love it here on the farm, although we don't have a sunset or sunrise view from here - we're at the head of a narrow valley where two mountains come together - but I love listening to the owls and the frogs and songbirds. Nice to listen to nature come awake in the morning, and to catch the final glimpse of the stars before I head in to start my day's work.

Gives a nice relaxing start to the day!

Thanks for all your kind words. All is in place and I'm half packed. Still haven't been able to buy a decent sun hat but not worried. At the very least I will tie a bandana over my head and I always wear sunglasses. Doesn't shield the face much, but I suppose slathering sunscreen and hitting the tanning salon prior to departure will help avoid the lobster burn I'm normally subject to each year.

Roll on spring!

Hugs, Storm

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

Hola and Buenos Dias Stormy...

I love the way you describe your farm....it sounds so idylic!

I love getting up early and fixing a cup of coffee and going out on the beach or pier and watching the SUN rise over the little village of Bayahibe...

and of course catching those spectacular sunsets...

Just talking about it brings back such "Sweet Dreams"...

Hugs!

bb/mt

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

Ha ha, nothing truly idyllic about a farm life - long hours for little gain - still it's got it's subtle rewards. Leslie called me at work the other day to tell me that one of the biggest hawks he's ever seen was in one of our trees in the orchard. I had him describe it to me and told him to check one of my birding books but I was certain it was a gyrfalcon and not a hawk at all. Turned out I was right.

Last year we had a mated pair of Great Grey Owls on the farm and this year we also spotted one of the locally endangered owl species - we are fortunate here because our island is home to many bird species.

Falcons, hawks, owls, eagles, vultures, kingfishers, towhees, blue jays, robins, 2 distinct species each of crow and raven, several species of woodpeckers including the giant pileated woodpecker. We are on the Pacific migration route so we get wrens, chaffinch, vireo, pine siskins, American goldfinch, western bluebird, larks, wood doves, rock pigeons, many species of duck, a couple of species of swan, many seabirds including cormorants and gulls, as well as many others whose names escape me at the moment.

Our island is home to plenty of deer who have no natural predators to worry about - just humans. Hunting is only allowed if the local police issue you a permit and even then you may only hunt with a long bow (a la Robin Hood). Crossbows and firearms are strictly forbidden. We have no wolves, coyotes, bears or mountain lions. We have no skunks or racoons. We have plenty of sea otter and seals, and the occasional whale pod passing by - it truly is a magical place which sadly is being exploited by greedy land developers.

Our farm is at the head of the valley, on the lake, with another smaller lake up the mountain behind us.

We farm fruit and vegetables and nuts with a garden that is approximately 2.5 acres in size. Plenty of hard work, long hours - especially with both of us working full time at other jobs away from the farm.

But I wouldn't trade it for just anything. I love it here!!

Still, I am looking forward to my month of R&R in Bayahibe next spring. I definitely need both the rest and the pampering!!

Storm

8. Re: What time does the sun set in early April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 13, 2009