We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Bayahibe

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around Bayahibe

Hi all,

We are going to IHD next June (ages away yet - torture!) and I wondered if it is possible to walk to the small village of Bayahibe from IHD comfortably. I appreciate you would really need to go to La Romana or Santo Domingo for shopping etc, but even just going to the local Supermercado would give us an insight into local culture.

Is it advisable to do this (ie. is it safe)? We are not fluent Spanish speakers but know enough basic Spanish to get by.

Thanks for all your help guys, these forums are ace at answering all the little (but very important!) questions that the reviews don't seem to cover.

Cheers from rainy Stirling in Scotland!

xx

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you go to Bayahibe and walk around but I don't recommend that you walk there.

You would have to take a horsetrail through the woods along the water to get there and though it is periodically done by some stout-hearted individuals, I think it's risky. It is not a marked route and you don't know the area, so why set to a trail through the woods under the circumstances. You could take the long walk from Dominicus to Bayahibe which takes about 40 minutes (5 minutes by car), but the road has a narrow shoulder and a lot of trucks ride the road so you'd have to bear that in mind. It's hot and dusty so bring a hat and water.

You can easily take a cab ($10), or you could take the gua gua which stops very close to the IHD ($1).

You can take a little walking tour through Bayahibe via my pictures posted at travel.webshots.com/album/563221847ytecdr Let me know if you see something that raises any questions.

You can take a look at the Main Colmado and at Norma Colmado, but they aren't really supermarkets in any traditional sense and you can't walk up and down the aisles, but rather you point to what you want from the shelves and a clerk hands it to you.

Once you master the art of taking the gua gua to Bayahibe, you may want to consider using it to go to the Jumbo in La Romana. If not, taking a cab with a handful of people will make it a good value and there's lots to see there! I have pictures of the produce department in that album posted above, as well as starting at …webshots.com/photo/2575332440064234328jVWCDQ in another album. If you have somebody help you in the aisles (and what a big help they can be!) who then walks around the store with you and takes your groceries or calls you a cab, tip him because I understand he works solely for tips and is not paid by the store.

Cheers from sunny Saskatoon!

Kaki

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

Hey Kaki,

Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease and for the link to your pics - fascinating! Just makes me long for June sooo much more though!

Been to MC in Punta Cana, which we loved but felt was a bit isolated so really excited about being reasonably close to villages/towns for exploring! One more question for you please Kaki, how easy are the gua gua's to use - do they stop right outside the hotel on a regular basis or are they a bit further away? Would really love to use them as it all adds the the experience!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Lynda

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

Oh, and another question I forgot to ask was do the local stores accept US$ or only dominican pesos?

Thanks again,

Lynda

Southern New...
Level Contributor
144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

Whta is a gua gua?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

A gua gua is a little bus, in this case most usually a minivan. Pictured here, leaving the stop at the main colmado in Bayahibe: …webshots.com/photo/2125900960064234328mJzTlx Here is the stop across the street from the Colmado: …webshots.com/photo/2862390110064234328sEUtsY and another shot of the gua gua: …webshots.com/photo/2226602550064234328KAdqAz

Kaki

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

Lynda, on the currency question, I think in the end most services will accept the US dollar, but they really prefer the peso. You will lose money each time they have to convert it since if they tell you it costs 300 pesos, you don't know which exchange rate they are using to come to between $9 and $10 that they would charge you (using an exchange rate of between 30 and 33 pesos to the dollar). If it's ease you're after, the loss of a dollar here or there may not be an issue for you. If you plan to be out and about more than once, you may be well advised to get some pesos though. It'll be easier if you have the option.

The gua gua goes every 15 minutes from directly by the IHD, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. It's not really recommended by night (again the stranger in a strange land thing). You need only ask concierge (look for my friend Mario Rosel!) for directions. The cost is

$20RD to Bayahibe from the hotel per person. To La Romana is $45RD (about $1.50).

Kaki

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

Hi,

We live in Dominicus and my daughter and I are walking our dog 3 times a week from here to Bayahibe and back. It's a great nature walk, lots of people run and walk there, either for exercise or just for fun. It takes about 50 minutes one way, so if you are coming back with a heavy grocery back, might be too much.

It is true it's used for horse tours. it's not paved, so some people might find it uncomfortable. We've been here for a year and our friends who live here for 8 or more years have never heard about this path being unsafe.

The local stores accept US dollars as well, and it's true you will not get as good rate there as at a bank.

8. Re: Walking around Bayahibe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 05, 2009