We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
6 posts
Save Topic
Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Hey all,

I'm flying out to Dreams la Romana in November by Thomas Cook with my fella. They haven't mentioned anything to us about the hotel under going any work but it should all be completed by the time we set off. if it isn't I hear it's not making a big impact.

I've read so many mixed reviews about the hotel but I am taking them with a pinch of salt. I am very very very excited about going. I'm 20 and my boyfriend is 21. were going to celebrate 4 years of being together, young love hey!

I haven't been abroad on holiday in a long time. I've been going to Newquay, England for the past couple of years in a tent so anything will be better than that. Saved up for the 2 week trip and honestly can't wait even after reading the 'bad reviews'. As long as the room I am staying in is clean then I will not be annoyed. Oh my god though, how amazing is the block 7 with the private hot tub :o) :o) what do you have to do to get in that room?

got some quick questions though.. about general holiday stuff to make me even more excited (mainly girly questions)

Does it cost a lot to upgrade your seats on your flight?

November.. The summer or winter? Will it rain lots?

How much spending money should I take? I would like to go on a few day trips. should I take dollars rather than their own currency?

You have to pay some amount on arrival at the airport?

Excursions - can anyone recomend the best ones?

Sun cream. I am very fair/blonde. What factor should I be thinking about taking and how many bottles?

Dress code in the evening, any?

anything I should consider/take with me ?

:o) :o)

Lizzie Bristol

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Oh, you are in for such a treat, it is very different from Newquay.

We are flying out with Thompsons, you would need to contact whoever you are flying with to check the price of an upgrade, it is advertised at £199, but they had an offer a couple of weeks ago and it was £129 each return. I think it costs a bit less to prebook seats with extra legroom, but of course there are only a few of these.

Pay US$10 on arrival and US$20 on departure - we always take the notes and put them away safely so we don't accidentally spend them.

Recommend Monster Truck Safari.

Sun cream recommend 25 or 30, perhaps a bottle of 20 for the second week. Don't burn it ruins the holiday.

Dress code - smart casual/casual.

We always take the thermal cups with lids (you can get them at camping stores, supermarkets like Tesco, even petrol stations). It keeps the drink cool, stops sand going in and saves on the trips to the bar. Don't worry, lots and lots of people have them so you they won't even give it a thought.

Have a brilliant time and if you are still there on 4th December, see you then.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

HI Lizzie!

Welcome to TA!!!

I have a list of excursions offered by most of the tour reps you can look over here:

good-times.webshots.com/album/550289892IcWuFH

This album also contains a map of the resort, some of their SUNdial Newsletters and more info that you may find helpful too!

Suncream...plenty of HIGH factor as it is a hot sun that can burn a fair skin!!! And apply often!

You can find Dining and Dresscode info Here:

sunscaperesorts.com/casadelmar/dining.html

I have a lot of other info on the resort in the form of an email I would be happy to send to you if you like.

you can reach me at

baltobabe@comcast.net

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Black Country UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Lizzie

Have you ever tried Newquay for New Year !!!!!

Now that really is something different

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Hola Lizzie!

It sounds like you've done a lot of great preliminary research. You'll be well equipped to handle all that you'll encounter!

Maybe when I have the DR out of my system, I'll be able to visit Newquay too. I've made so many great international friends through my trips to the DR, I look forward to seeing them all in their homelands and a couple of them are from the UK. But...I don't tent ANYwhere though!

The new rooms in building 7 are gorgeous, but what I love about them being THERE is that it opens up all the new and highly desirable centrally located rooms for those of us who can't afford the suites. As has always been the case with this hotel, there are so many great room options!

You can see on this stats chart where November places for rain (and temperature). It's a lot drier than the previous handful of months but it isn't the driest. I love a Caribbean rain though! And they usually come in short bursts or overnight. I hope everyone can experience one, and I hope it enhances without interrupting your hols. www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/C02963/

The half day excursions can cost between $30 and $50, and the full day ones can go to $90 for the fullest days. The tour vendors will take cash, in American funds or pesos. You can use either for purchases on the hotel property and at the vendors on the beach or in town. American funds are fine and will most likely be accepted everywhere if they're convenient for you to get. Of course their own currency is preferred, but you can get by using American money if that's easier for you.

I can recommend a bunch of excursions in the area covering a bunch of different interests. I'm in the process of updating it so please send me a note if you'd like me to send it to you. It's in the form of an e-mail.

Take lots of pictures and make lots of notes! The little things that you remember in the years to come will take you rushing back to your great vacation!

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

You have to contact your travel agent or airline for the upgrade price.

November is a winter month here, but still nice and hot, it might rain here and there, but mostly at night. I love the tropical rains though, they last for about 20 min and it's still warm, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Somebody answered the trip cost already, so you have to think how many excursions or trips you want to do. You can pay in pesos, US dollars or euros, all accepted.

Ask your travel agent about the airport fee as well, because some (or maybe all) Canadian travel agencies add the fee to the price of the ticket so the tourist don't have to think about keeping some money onside.

Hard to say what is the best excursion, if you like history, I would recommend trip to Santo Domingo. If you just want to stay around the water, popular trips are Saona and Catalina Island.

As for sunscreen I would suggest 40, my daughter's boyfriend is fair too and even he has been here for 5 months when he goes on the beach / boat for the whole day, he still uses it. One bottle should be fine, if not they sell it here too.

Casual or semi formal (for a special evening)is fine.

Anywhere I travel, even in Canada I take Imodium with me - in case my stomach does not agree with some food :)

See you here in November!!!

Bristol
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Thanks guys for all of your help!!! xx

Bristol
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

So this is Lizzi again but at work on lunch....

Is the work on schedule? Isn't it due to end by November?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Latest word is the work is going on and progressing Lizzie...

For the most up to date info you can email the resort, Kerry Cosentino is the Manager of Guest Services:

Kerry Cosentino

concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

Latest word is the work is going on and progressing Lizzie...

For the most up to date info you can email the resort, Kerry Cosentino is the Manager of Guest Services:

Kerry Cosentino

concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

10. Re: Soon to be Dreams La Romana - currently Sunscape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 09, 2009