We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape Casa del Mar

ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscape Casa del Mar

We are thinking of going to Sunscape in March. I read that it borders Bayahibe, the town. When we stayed in Iberostar in Puerto Plata, we found that being located next to a small housing area greatly increased the pollution and debris in the water. It was actually quite unpleasant to swim there. Has anyone noticed this situation?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscape Casa del Mar

Hi SulaOhio,

In all my trips to CDM I have not seen anything like you are talking about. I have enjoyed swimming and snorkeling every day while I am there!

I was just there in June and had a lovely time!

Did you know that when you go in March it will be Dreams La Romana?

If you are interested I have some informational albums you may enjoy about the resort...they are in an email form.

I would be happy to share...

baltobabe@comcast.net

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscape Casa del Mar

sulaOhio, I don't think you have to worry about that too much at this property. Maybe it's the currents, but though there is A LOT of boat traffic within sight of the hotel beach, not a lot of fallout wafts into the CDM waters.

There is indeed pollution in the water but I think that for the most part it is the hotel's influence from guest and staff to blame. Considering that locals aren't hanging out on that coast by night, the garbage that is seen can be designated as having been washed in or more locally deposited. American cigarette packs and lots of hotel style plastic glasses, with the odd wine bottle is most of what I've seen. The water is still clean and doesn't leave you coated in slime, as well as being clear dependent on local water activity. The water doesn't smell either. This may all change with time as there is more development and growth in the area but if you think a housing development is to be avoided, that shouldn't be a problem on that beach. What is growing in Bayahibe is business and services and not housing.

For now, I totally see Bayahibe being next door to Casa del Mar/Dreams La Romana as a strong asset with little negative. There is so much to take advantage of with Bayahibe there and as it is.

I have some pictures of the waterline in the Bayahibe cove which would show the bulk of the damage of the residential community as well as the business overflow. Though it may be hard to tell, take a look and see if you notice the pollution and debris or scummy water in the shots:

…webshots.com/photo/2012841710064234328sgZHkL

…webshots.com/photo/2057363350064234328nSlRbV

…webshots.com/photo/2884235890064234328UIDOxs

…webshots.com/photo/2037757840064234328WrYYFa

Can you see how crystal clear the water is here? …webshots.com/photo/2060057780064234328GMCcCl

Starting here, there are a few shots evidencing the debris-free and clean water: …webshots.com/photo/2592719110064234328vuHAoG and I even labeled this picture "Is the water clear here? Yes it is!": …webshots.com/photo/2617949350064234328dzZeFo

I have more examples of a different angles and different areas of the beach, but I think you can see that you have little to worry about.

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
3. Re: Sunscape Casa del Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 07, 2009
;