We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Holidays

Afitos, Greece
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Holidays

I have just heard that Thomson Holidays are dropping serveral hotels in the Afitos/Kalithea area for 2013. They are not saying why but the most likely reason is that they do not want hotels that they have to share with other holiday companies because they are to tight to offer the best rates to secure all the rooms. I am asking anyone who visits this area or if you are a regular Thomson guest to look for Halkidiki holiday for 2013 and if your particular hotel is not showing to lodge a complaint on the Thomson website by going to the bottom of their web page and using their Facebook or Twitter feed.

I hope whoever read this will take a little time to see if Thomson actually will listen to their paying clients

Mentioned in this post
Afitos
Afitos
Kassandra, Greece
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Holidays

Hi Audley,

Very nice of you to share this, so the people who book through Thomson complain about it.

A reason that they want to secure all the rooms, might be that they do not want to compare the prices with other agencies, cause they will lose customers this way.

I think that people can get sometimes cheaper if they book straight from the hotel's website.

I know that they charge a lot about transportation, cause i have helped in the past some people from Liverpool, as they were asked almost double price than i offered.

Also the people who are interested to come for holidays here, should not listen to the media, cause there is no such huge problem with the crisis, they make it seem like a disaster, and people are afraid to come. Everything is normal, as you will probably seen while in Afitos.

Mentioned in this post
Afitos
Afitos
Kassandra, Greece
Afitos, Greece
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Holidays

Thanks You flatexpert L

This post was posted for the UK holiday makers who will be affected next year and the holteliers who have given 13 yrs or more service to Thomsons and all they have to show for it is a phone call telling them that they are no longer required, no explanation no respect and certainly no thought on how it will impact villages, locals and the tourist in Halkidiki in 2013

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
London
Level Contributor
872 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Holidays

Sadly it seems all the UK operators are pulling out of most of Halkidiki for some reason. I used to rep in Hanioti / Pefkohori back in the early 90s and Brits were the main tourists, but now they are hugely in the minority as it has been taken over by Eastern Europeans.

I don't know why this is happening and I hope that it will change again over the years as it is not good for the Greek economy, or for us Brits who love the place... I have a holiday home in Pefkohori and usually fly Easyjet or BA so they won't stop me from coming!!

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Hanioti
Hanioti
Kassandra, Greece
Pefkohori
Pefkohori
Kassandra, Greece
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Holidays

I booked the Achtis hotel with Thomas Cook and its showing 700 more with other companies for the same to weeks

Mentioned in this post
Achtis Hotel
Achtis Hotel
1,166 Reviews
Afitos, Greece
lancashire
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Holidays

hi, i have been trying to re book for 2013 to the achtis hotel and have been told the same today by thomas cook, so fed up because all i want to do is go back in june next year, we had a fab holiday and it woukd be so sad if us brits cant get back to afitos and the achtis hotel, we live in the north west and i am struggling to get any flights so that we can book direct with magda and achilles,

Euston (Not the...
Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Holidays

The hotel that we stayed in last year with Thomsons has dropped them in favour of offering full board packages to eastern europeans. Unfortunately this seems to be the way the market is going. The number of brits travelling to Kassandra (as package tourists) has declined over the past few years (although the number of brit independent travellers has increased). So tout companys are reducing their exposure to unsold holidays in the area, and also trying to keep prices up.

There is a serious knock on effect to the local business in Kassandra, as these eastern europeans don't spend any money in resort - so expect a number of restaurants/bards to close.

Mentioned in this post
Kassandra
Kassandra
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Holidays

We have recently returned from Afitos. There was a fair bit of disappointment with regards the British media's portrayal of the financial situation in Greece. This is a lovely holiday destination and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. In my Opinion Thomsons are letting down those people that have booked year after year to stay at the wonderful Achtis Hotel. Whilst I didn't get this first hand, rumour has it (from the chat in the taverna's), Thomson's tried to re-negotiate room prices in their favour, reducing their offering by 50 percent, which was rejected. If this is true shame on you Thomsons. I know who won't be getting my money next year and I dare say a number of other people will feel the same!

Mentioned in this post
Afitos
Afitos
Kassandra, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Achtis Hotel
Achtis Hotel
1,166 Reviews
Afitos, Greece
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Holidays

I think thomson have gone expensive im at the Achtis with thomas cook in a couple of weeks and their price easily beat thomson

Mentioned in this post
Achtis Hotel
Achtis Hotel
1,166 Reviews
Afitos, Greece
Derby, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Holidays

We have been going to the Hotel Nostos in Afitos/Kalithea for the last 7/8 years,and have enjoyed every holiday we have had there.We book twelve months in advance and have tried to book for 2013 but were told that Thompson were no longer offering the Hotel Nostos,and that it had transferred to the Thomas Cook brochure.True enough it is in the brochure but have been unable to book a holiday as we have been told "they don,t have the flight information".I rang Thomas Cook direct to ask what the problem was and was told by a young lady that nothing was coming up on screen.She said she would look in to it and ring us back.That was two weeks ago.....and i,m still waiting.We are going to the Nostos on the 03-09-12 and we know Helen and the family well,so we will find out exactly what is happening when we arrive there.If need be,i will book the rooms with "Helen" and then book flights separately,and Thompson/Thomas Cook can stick their holidays where the sun doesnt shine.MR.

Mentioned in this post
Afitos
Afitos
Kassandra, Greece
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Holidays

im in the Achtis in Afistos from saturday cant wait

Mentioned in this post