We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs whilst on Brampton Island

london
3 posts
Save Topic
Costs whilst on Brampton Island

I have been looking into staying on Brampton Island for 5 nights in December this year, although the accommodation costs are similar to those that I have found whilst researching Hamilton Island. I am concerned that we will not be able to afford the costs once I'm on it. I see you can get a food package for $65 for a day which seems ok, ish - although I would prefer to spend far less than that but are the drinks expensive? is there any kind of shop for a snack rather than full meal?

Also we had hoped to go out the reef to snorkel or dive and maybe to whitehaven beach but I note on the voyages website that the excursions they note are very expensive around 400- 600 dollars versus under 150 from Hamilton Island. Is there a cheaper way of seeing the reef? or really should I just stay at a cheaper island?

your thoughts are appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs whilst on Brampton Island

Wombat8,

There are better and cheaper option to see the Great Barrier Reef than staying at Brampton Island.

Firstly, why Brampton Island ??? is there any particular reason you have decided to visit this island ?

Brampton Island is at the Southern end of the Barrier Reef and more assessable from Mackay than Airlie Beach.

If you really want to see some islands, you are better off staying at Airlie Beach (mainland) and taking a cruise through the Whitsunday Islands ..there are heaps of different options available regarding tours to the reef.

www.whitsundaytourism.com/

www.whitsundays.com.au/

www.airliebeach.com/

Hopefully, you do understand its stinger/ cyclone season in Nth Queensland in December, which means you cannot swim in the ocean without a stinger suit.

Just to add some vital information to all tourists, all Voyages Resorts are up for sale at the moment, with a massive price...

So, its important to know.....

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs whilst on Brampton Island

Wombat8 - I will be returning to Brampton Island this November to revisit this beautiful island (last visited 40 years ago)

One thing that you will experience on Brampton Island, which you wont get at "touristy" Airlie Beach/Whitsunday islands, is the sense of being on the island which you feel belongs to you. Because the island is off the main track of tourists, and they don't tend to have "daytrippers" the island has a lovely semi-isolated feel about it. Not many places in the world can boat of this fact. You will understand after you have visited. I have been to Airlie beach/Whitsundays, and I felt that I was part of the tourist crowd.

A bit like comparing Port Vila & Tanna Island I guess, one is touristy and the other is untouched.

You know the GBR can be visited from numerous locations up & down the Qld coast. Where I live in Hervey Bay, we have some very pristine coral cays 30 minutes flight from us, called Lady Elliot Island, and another Lady Musgrave Island which can be reached via a regular launch from the town of 1770.

Also Heron Island from Gladstone.

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs whilst on Brampton Island

Wombat - We just got back from Brampton Island a few days ago, and it was still as beautiful as it was 40 years ago. One thing to remember when choosing your GBR holidays is that Brampton does not have "daytrippers" like the Whitsunday Islands do have. (see my text below on Hamilton)

First of all the costs, and most islands have similar costs.

Brampton Island - The "included" buffet breakast is huge, with a wide variety of cereals, cooked breakfast, muffins, fresh fruit, 4 varieties of juices, etc, etc, etc. (we found we didn't need lunch after breakfast)

Lunch....You can eat upstairs in the Dining Room, or opt for light lunches (nothing over $15)from the bar area downstairs, and then eat in the bar area or outside under a coconut tree overlooking the blue ocean.

Dinner- Are all taken in the upstairs dining room, and if you don't take the meal package(which we didn't as we are light eaters), we purchased one main course each @ $35 per head, and trust me it was very filling.

One night they had a buffet dinner on, which we felt would be too much food for us, so we ordered a cheese platter & bottle of wine, and sat outside under the stars, just heaven.

On some nights, they have a chef who cooks outside for guests who pay the fee for a degustation dinner & matching wines. Very nice outside under the stars with the hawaiian flares burning.

Drinks - From 5pm to 6pm, the bar area has "happy hour" with beers at $4.50 each and cocktails eg. gin & tonic at $4.50 also.

Normally these drinks would be around $6 each.

You can purchase wine in the Dining Room or Bar Area down below in the evening starting from $30 & upwards.

We were buying very nice NZ Sauvignon Blancs for $40 a bottle.

Hope this helps.

P.S. We thought Daydream Island shops etc, looked tacky, and Hamilton Island had too many people on it, with electric cars going backwards & forwards, you really have to watch them, so you don't get run over. Hamilton's cafes/restaurants/and beaches just get too crowded. If you love busy Surfers Paradise, then you will love Hamilton, however, if you want something quiet, romantic, and downright beautiful, go for Brampton. I know we are going to return there one day.

4. Re: Costs whilst on Brampton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Brampton Island