We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping on Moreton Island

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camping on Moreton Island

Hi we will be travelling between Sydney and Cairns from 15 Feb and 16 March 2009 before travelling onwards to the Red Centre and then Darwin.

We were planning to visit Tangalooma Resort on Moreton Island but the reviews are not too good. We are now considering camping and have visited the excellent EPA website.

Can anyone advise the best place to camp on the island at the time of year we are visiting please?

Is it over the top to do 2 nights here and 2 nights on Fraser Island?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

I particularly like North Point, however you will need a 4WD and of course all your camping gear. Are you prepared to buy camping gear for a one month trip?

Also I advise at least 4 nights on Fraser so my advice is to pick one island and enjoy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

We prefer to camp on the inland (western) side of the island because the wind is lesser than the Eastern side. Yellow Patch and North Point are absolutely gorgeous but quite a drive from where the barge lets you off.

Generally we pick a campsite somewhere between Bulwer and Cowan Cowan, rather than staying at a campground.

In May this year we decided to go south of Tangalooma and that was fantastic. It was a bit of a drive to go around the resort but the campsite we choose, tucked up against a massive sand hill in behind the beach vegetation, was magic. Because we were with a couple of non-campers it was handy for them to be able to wander up to the resort to use the facilities occasionally. We also found that not as many people go south as north so there wasn't much passing traffic (and when the tide came in none at all!).

You'll need at least two nights on Moreton and, as Surfoz said, at least four on Fraser.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255078-r851…

Also be very aware of your tide times when driving on the beaches at both islands. You don't want to get stuck because of a rising tide http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/tides/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

Unless you are planning to hire all the equipment needed for camping I suggest you stay at Tangalooma Resort. I have stayed there and I'm incredibily fussy and a 5 star luxury woman..

If you know its going to be a 3.5 star then you already are aware of the standards. I personally thought the rooms to be terrific for its rating.

I absolutely loved the island and the resort was okay and the rooms spacious, basic and cute. We had a lovely room overlooking the water and enjoyed it. See review with pics.

If I had to choose between camping and the resort, give me a toliet/shower and a bed anyday.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g662671-d257…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

You may also think about joining a tour to do this as it will be signicantly cheaper than having to buy or hire all your gear.

www.tourstogo.com.au/moreton-island-tours

The barge to Moreton Island costs $190 return (or $205 peak) if you're taking a 4WD over. Plus you'd have to hire the 4WD and all your gear. Could get very expensive...

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

I highly recommend doing an organised camping tour. Tangalooma is beautiful but expensive for what you get. The only benifit of going to Tangalooma resort is dolphin feeding. They have the exclusive rights to that. If you want to do any other activities on the island you will pay dearly for it because it needs to be organised through Tangalooma.

With an organised camping tour you get to see the whole island and it really is beautiful. Most companies who run two day tours also include snorkelling on the Tangalooma wrecks with all equipment provided. There is over 600 dolphins in Moreton Bay so even though you wont actually be hand feeding them it's highly likely that you will see some even if it's from Cape Moreton lighthouse.

In regards to Fraser Island, 2 day 1 night tours or 3 day 2 night tours are best. Once again organised tours are much better. They cost less in the long run and you get to see more! The two islands, althouh both sand islands, are vastly different and both are well worth visiting!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

Sorry, I also forgot to include that there are no companies that hire 4WD to Moreton Island. You can hire them for Fraser Island though...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

Just another suggestion to throw and toss around; you can hire a 4WD from the resort which we did and we got to see the whole island which was relevantly moderately priced considering what it would cost to bring a car over..

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

Dear all

Thank you all very much for your invaluable info. Yeah, agree that doesnt make sense to buy all the gear so will either go to the resort hotel as Ellemay suggests or try out one of the organized tours but we are not usually up for group tours, so it will probably be the hotel.

9. Re: Camping on Moreton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 09, 2009