We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos or santorini

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos or santorini

we are a mature couple wanting to spend 3 days either Thira or Mykonos next August. We want relaxing holiday, good views and good restaurants. any suggestions

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos or santorini

hi...they are the two most known greek islands,so they are definitely the most expensive ones by far (of course if you arrive there well informed and know how to avoid the tourist traps you can enjoy them on a budget as well)..

they are very different..santorini has the gorgeous caldera views with the white house villages hanging on the cliffs ovwerlooking at the sea that i am sure you have already seen..the 4 villages with that view are OIA,FIRA,FIROSTEFANI AND IMEROVIGLI..of course for a room facing these view you have to pay much more..but you can also stay somewhere near without the views and enjoy the views with a drink at a cafeteria there.

the drawback of santorini is that its beaches are not the white sand beaches you may imagine..due to its volcanic soil it has grey or black sand beaches and some rocky pebbly ones(still unique though)..

mykonos on the other hand has many beautiful white sand beaches,the ''town'' chora with the white washed houses to explore..it is known for its nightlife..both these places have many tourist traps(again,asking here for advice to avoid them before will save you a lot of money) and a zillion tourists during high season(july and august)....so to actually enjoy them avoid these two months(the prices are better the rest of the time as well)

santorini

http://tinyurl.com/o5kk7ln

santorini beaches

http://tinyurl.com/ncsj25v

mykonos

http://tinyurl.com/pzw3xxa

i realise mykonos and santorini are probably the ones that travel agents are proposing to the rest of the world,but at august they will be overcrowded and expensive..greece has hundrends of islands and they all are much cheaper and less crowded than those two..

to give you an idea of what else is out there have a look at this beautiful NAXOS trip report and pictures

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189431-i1324-k6…

and this beautiful MILOS trip report and pictures

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g494953-i9770-k6…

however if you definitely are set on mykonos or santorini ,budget is not an issue and don't have a problem with overcrowded places go for it

Edited: 7:08 am, October 08, 2013
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos or santorini

Relaxing holidays in Mykonos or Santorini in August of any year seems a bit like wanting to find water in a desert.

There are so many...other Island they can offer you that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos or santorini

We stayed at the Mykonos Beach hotel very good location and price... In Santorini it was Rena's Suites also great place Book a superior room they are near the pool and much better...Mykonos Beach hotel was right on the ocean and we had a balcony view Loved it My review says room 3 but it was 23.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos or santorini

Hi there

Wherever you head for in August will be packed to the rafters, it's peak season in Greece. The only real way to find a bit of peace and quiet is to head for an island without an airport, i.e. one that can only be reached by ferry as that will in most instances exclude it from the travel plans for most tourists looking for a base. Is three days all you have or do you have additional time somewhere else in Greece?

5. Re: Mykonos or santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 11, 2014