We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hi,

I know this is a topic that has been discussed every year (almost) and on which Heimdall and few others had given detailed explanations. I have read all of the replies and responses.

So far the plan is I travel from Mykonos to Santorini on 20th April which is a Saturday. We have booked hotels at both ends and they are non-refundable :( So the plan is that we travel on the 20th. I saw that there is a more scenic route via Paros, and if so, do you guys think it would be available for me?

I tried Olympic/Aegean and the other budget airline as options (more like predictions based on the rates given uptill march 2013).

It looks like the only option is for me to fly via Athens or pray that a ferry turns up. http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ says that in 2012 there was no ferry on Saturday.

As indicated by some others, if the ferry starts about 9 days before Greek Easter, then I'm screwed cos Easter in 2013 is on 5th May. :(

coming from Sri Lanka, in all probability we will be spending a small fortune (after conversion to local currency) on this trip, and since its a kind of a special trip for us, I just want it to go without any hitch.

Any advise, (other than telling me to be calm and that everything will be ok) is more than welcome. and thanks in advance :)

cheers

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

It's a little difficult to advise until the April ferry timetables are published. As you wrote, Hellenic Seaways normally starts its FlyingCat 4 operation about a week before Greek Easter, but as Easter is so late next year, perhaps they will start earlier — I simply don't know.

The other option you mentioned is SeaJet 2 from Mykonos to Paros, connecting with Blue Star from Paros to Santorini. Blue Star to Santorini is a 7 day/wk, year-round ferry, so no problem there. I wouldn't like to guess whether SeaJet 2 will be going to Paros that early, but there is a good possibility it will.

Your one sure-fire route is connecting flights (via Athens) from Mykonos to Santorini. There is a chance that if you are patient there will be cheap tickets for Aegean Airlines or Olympic Air flights on that day.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Thanks Heimdall for that response. as you suggested I did wait to see how the schedules would work out. Sadly, there's nothing that has come up as yet.

so far, ferries.gr is giving out schedules till end of march 2013,and there is no connection to either naxos or paros from MYK.

So, far my plan has been to travel from

Athens (Piraeus or Rafina) to MYK on 17/04/2013,

MYK to Santorini on 20/04/2013

Santorini to Athens 24/04/2013

Sadly, I haven't been able to find any ticket options as yet, and getting a bit panicky about the situation. Usually, I mess up my travel plans and have to pay through my nose to rectify things. I'm trying to avoid all of it as much as possible.

thanks for any advise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,346 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hey and welcome ThishyaW:-) Wow! You booked hotels back in August for April?;-) FWIW, chances are you could have waited a bit for that;-) April is far from packed.. nonetheless, water under the bridge;-) Would sign up NOW for email alerts with both www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ As noted, the latter is known for some phenominal deals.. keep an eye out;-) Hopefully, the Spring schedule for ferries will be out before you need to commit to flights.. but they have been known to appear as late as weeks prior! I wish you the best.. Happy New Year.. and Happy planning.. enJOY!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

well, there were some really good deals and didn't want to miss out. didn't realise that catching a ferry was going to be an issue. beside, was super excited about the plan for other reasons ;)

guess, I'll wait for a month or so and see. failing which I will book a flight. sad part is, I've been looking forward to the grand entry to Thira by ferry... oh well, you win some, you learn some..

thanks again for the responses guys.. all the best for the new year and compliments for the season.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

The 'grand entry to Thira' is only possible if you go via Paros (Seajet2+Blue Star). If you go direct on one of the catamarans (Superjet or Flyingcat4) you won't be able to see much through layers of salt on the windows.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hi again ThishyaW,

I sure hope you haven't been biting your fingernails since last August. There is no point in worrying about ferry timetables this early — Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat 4 timetables will be out sometime in March, Sea Jets Consortium timetables probably a little earlier.

If I recall correctly, Sea Jets published their timetables very early last year, possibly even as soon as late January, but I don't remember for sure. They did seem to snap up a few bookings from early planners like yourself, when FlyingCat 4 wasn't yet showing up on the timetables.

In fact, GTP.gr is already showing Superjet going from Mykonos to Paros and then on to Santorini starting on 24th April: http://tinyurl.com/cbfb4dy . It's possible they will add earlier sailings to their schedule in the spring, or that Hellenic Seaways will have a sailing on 20th April, but I wouldn't count on it. In April 2012 FlyingCat 4 sailed only on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, then began their daily runs in May.

Bottom line: if you want to be sure of getting from Mykonos to Santorini on Saturday 20th April you will have to book connecting flights via Athens. Another contributor, brotherleelove, has mentioned when Aegean Airlines is likely to have a cheap seats offer — you may want to do a search on his posts. :-)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,554 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Sign up for newsletters from both airlines - they both have special offers from time to time.

http://en.aegeanair.com/

http://www.olympicair.com/549-en-gb.cmt

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hi Thishya, I am in the same boat - no punn intended. But we are going the first week in April and I was shocked to find that there are no ferries. Our travel agent in Turkey should have known better, but now we are scrambling trying to figure out how to go from Myk to Sant without paying a bunch for flights. Have you had any luck yet? Have you heard of any private boats that make the trip?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

There has always been the option of a ferry Mykonos to Syros daily 14:15, and then Syros to Santorini 10:00 Tues, Sat. apart from obvious ferry to Piraeus and out again to Santorini.

You'll have to overnight on Syros, however that is hardly a big problem, Ermoupolis is well worth a visit.

Not costly either, as those are conventional ferries.

http://www.bluestarferries.com/

http://www.nel.gr/

http://www.gtp.gr/

Edited: 12:36 am, January 25, 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

I have the same problem.

I'm planning to travel from Mykonos to Santorini on 2013/Apr/09.

But i can not find any ships starting before April/20.

I think i'm in big trouble. maybe take the flight from Mykonos back to Athens then flight to Santorini at 2013/Apr/09 is my only chance.

so sad........