We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning to visit Mykonos for our honeymoon in May (7th - 11th).

Based on what I've read, it seems that the weather will not really allow for us to go swimming in the ocean, but will it be good enough so that we are able to sit on the beach?

Will most businesses/activities be available during that time? I'm just want to make sure that we plan accordingly...

And one last thing - we are contemplating on whether we should rent a car in Mykonos or use bus/taxi to get around. We hope to be staying at the Hotel Tagoo. Is the taxi fare considered "expensive" in Mykonos?

We are trying to average out our budget at 115 Euros a day for lunch, dinner, taxi/bus, drinks, etc,.

Thank you for you insight!

Bryan

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

Found this link while looking around the forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189430-i401-k3528…

Answers a lot of my questions. Any additional advice is still appreciated!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

Hi Bryan: It's true that the weather at that time of May could be iffy. Chances are that it will be sunny and warm in the late mornings & afternoons, so that you would be able to enjoy sitting on a beach. That was the case for us when we were in Mykonos during the very same time period several years ago. (Early mornings and evenings, on the other hand, tended to be chilly and windy).

A lot of shops, restaurants and other businesses will still be getting ready to open for the season, but there will be plenty of places already open, so the island definitely won't be dead. We have noticed that whatever time of May we visit (and May is our preferred month for going to Mykonos), we notice new shops, restaurants and bars opening for the season on a daily basis. It is quite interesting to watch the Town gradually come more and more to life, since the look of entire streets and lanes changes so quickly. That means there's always something new to see when you walk around.

Of all our visits to Mykonos we have rented a car only once, and that was to spend just one day touring around the island to see beach areas we had not previously visited. Otherwise, we have always been able to get around either by taking the local buses, or walking. Hotel Tagoo is a very short walk (15 mins) from the heart of Mykonos Town, so you don't need a vehicle to travel between the hotel and Town. If you do stay at Hotel Tagoo, Anna (the manager) will be happy to explain how you can reach places you want to see, and I'm sure she'll have a wealth of suggestions for other places to check out. (Bus service tends to be limited in early May, so there sometimes isn't reliable service to more distant beach areas like Elia at that time. Anna would certainly let you know what your options are.)

You probably wouldn't need to rent a car for more than a day unless you wanted to visit beaches that aren't accessible by bus, such as Ag. Sostis or Lia.

I think €115/day will cover your meal and transport costs; I doubt we spent that much last May. Again, Anna can point you in the direction of reasonably-priced restaurants that won't blow your budget.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

Hi Donny,

Thank you for your insight and reassurance! I was planning on getting a car/atv for 3-4 days, but it seems that 1-2 may be better.

We can only hope that the weather is warmer rather than colder when we go! Regardless, we are extremely excited to be going!

Cheers,

Bryan

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

You will LOVE the Hotel Tagoo. We stayed there June 2011. It has fabulous staff and an amazing sunset view from the great pool area. Don't miss seeing the sunset. We thought it was as good as if not better than at Oia in Santorini. The hotel has a small area in the back where you can park your rental whether it's a car or ATV. Anna will meet with you as she does with new arrivals and give you tons of info on restaurants, beaches, sites, etc. You can easily walk from the hotel to town or if you prefer taxi it cost about 4 euros one way. We would walk to town and take the taxi back as it's more of an uphill walk going back and I am older with knee problems!

Happy honeymoon!!!!!!!

Edited: 1:55 pm, March 11, 2012
5. Re: Mykonos Honeymoon - May Weather and Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town