We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about hotels from a solo traveller

I'll be travelling to Mykonos for my first time this summer and am looking for input on where to stay. I'll have friends on the island for part of the time that I'll be there, but the rest of the time I'll be on my own. This means that I'm looking for more than a quality room or location, but also a good vibe -- a place where I can meet fellow young travelers from around the world.

After having read hundreds of reviews from over a dozen hotels, I'm still no closer to having decided.

Some factors that are important:

- A pool with a bar

- Decent wi-fi service, preferably in-room

- proximity to town

The options I've found that look ideal for my price range are Hotel Tagoo, Apanema, Mykonos Bay, Grand Beach, Carbonaki, Leto and Myconian K

Now, for example, Mykonos Bay looks ideal, except that several of the reviews said that the pool area is often empty. Tagoo looks great, but no wifi in the rooms and I don't know how big the hotel is. Apanema looks beautiful, but has only 18 rooms.

Of course, the perfect is the enemy of the good. I know I'll have a great time wherever I choose to stay. But if anyone has any suggestions that could help me to lean one way or the other, I'd appreciate it.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Just a couple of comments about Hotel Tagoo, where I've stayed twice and will be staying for a third time in just a few weeks.

It is a small hotel with around 20 rooms on several different levels (I don't know the exact room count). It attracts travellers of all ages and on our previous visits (once in late May, once in late September) the guests have been a mix of "younger" travellers (late 20s, early 30s) and "older" (40s and 50s). Nevertheless, there has been a good vibe with a very social atmosphere at the pool & poolside bar. Anna, the hotel manager, has told me that during peak season (late July & during August) there usually is a variety of guests including parents with kids, couples (straight and gay) and singles.

In past years we have had no trouble getting wi-fi signals from our rooms and I assume it will be the same again this year. I'll find out soon enough and can report back at the end of May.

Finally, the hotel is about a 15-minute walk to the heart of Mykonos Town.

I haven't stayed at any of the other hotels so I can't offer any personal feedback about them. Apanema is the favourite recommendation of one of the other Mykonos DEs, TJ1904, who will hopefully see your post and offer some insights. Mykonos regular visitor johnnieb routinely recommends the Mykonos Bay and always comments favourably about it; I hope he sees your post, too, so he can address your concerns.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Like Donny said, my favourite is the Apanema. Its a beautiful hotel with great service and great atmosphere. Very easy place to meet people as everybody is relaxed and friendly.

Its less than 10 minutes walk into town with beautiful sunset views from the balcony or the pool area.

They also do have Wifi everywhere.

Staff is also great.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Thanks for the reply, donnyb.

I should mention that my consideration of Hotel Tagoo is in no small part due to your favorable comments across the various forum posts, in addition to the many glowing reviews.

I'm happy to socialize with people of all ages. However, I'd prefer not to be staying at a place which where I'll be surrounded by couples on their honeymoon and families on vacation(to the extent that such things can be avoided). This is what worries me about Apanema and Mykonos Bay, for example. Happy to rock out on my own, but I'd rather not feel out of place at the place where I'm staying obviously.

I'll have a decent amount of time to spend in Mykonos, so I might try dividing my time between two places, to better sample what's on offer.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Not many children in Apanema ;-)

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

TJ1904: I didn't see your post earlier-- thanks for the reply. Apanema certainly does look amazing, and seems to offer most everything I'd want in a hotel. All the photos I've seen are stunning! I think I owe it to myself to check it out at least for a little bit.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

Im sure you would not regret staying there. Out of you list of hotels its certainly the best. And I promise the pics on their homepage dont lie ;-)

7. Re: Question about hotels from a solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town