We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Hi there,

I am having a baby in May and we already book some vacations in late July :o)

I am going with my husband, 3 years old boy and the baby girl.

I would like to have a hotel in front or very near the beach (as I will have to go during the day back to the room), with umbrellas, in a quite area, near to a mini market if possible.

1/ could you recommend me first the area?

2/ we dont want to spend too much, but we will like a nice place to enjoy the week. It can be a hotel or an appartment.

any suggestion???

thanks for your help

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

If I were you, I would reconsider visiting Mykonos. Mykonos is a very nice place, but very expensive and very child unfriendly. So is Santorini and several other Cycladic islands.

If you already bought the plane tickets, consider visiting Naxos (Ag. Georgios area). Unfortunately, although it is very close to Mykonos, you may have to change the ferry at Paros. Also Paros may be a good choice.

Edited: 5:20 pm, January 25, 2011
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,493 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Here's a very nice, affordable place on a secluded beach.

http://mykonosthea.com

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

But in Agios Sostis you will feel the strong North wind all the time, especially in July. Try a protected southern beach, but accomodations there are more expensive. Maybe Ornos or Agios Ioannis area.

C.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

We were already in NAXOS in Kalergis appartments and we love it!

This time I have the tickets to Mikonos, as there is a new direct flight from Geneva...this is why we bought them, to avoid ferrys!

I know Mikonos is more a party island, but anyway I think we can find a place for us. I just need a nice beach and I saw that Mikonos has a lot of them. Of course, the hotel needs to be near.

What about Platis Gialos? I saw there the Argo Hotel?

any other recommendation?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Thanks for your suggestion.

Tha place looks very nice, but is not too far away from town?

Do you have places close to the hotel or is really a plce where we will be alone.

I really will like still to have the life of the island close to us :o)

i will check the other 2 beaches recommended

Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Hi cbrea98: Platis Gialos would be a good choice, since it's a beach popular with families (Ornos is the other main "family" beach on Mykonos). You mentioned the Argo -- I haven't stayed there myself but have heard very good things about it from travellers who have, and it does get good reviews. The Argo meets two of the criteria you mentioned in your post: It's a very short walk to the beach so it would be easy for you to go back to the Argo during the day. Also, there are minimarkets at the beach.

Since you're travelling in July, the beaches and the whole island will be busy. It will be difficult to find a quiet space. But Gialos and Ornos are not among the wild party beaches that many people associate with Mykonos, and I'm sure your family would enjoy yourselves at one of those two areas.

I don't agree with the poster who described Mykonos as "very child unfriendly." I have seen families with young children enjoying the island on all of my visits, and there have been posts in past years from travellers who took infants to Mykonos and enjoyed their trips. One that I can specifically recall was a family with a three-year-old child that visited Kalafatis beach last July. Although theirs was a visit during a cruise stopover, these travellers did report back in the forum that they enjoyed Mykonos, and had a good time at Kalafatis beach: tripadvisor.ca/…26949863

Skopje, Republic of...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Hi Cbrea98,

I will be in a smiliar situation this August. Can you please let me know which beaches to stay near by during the trip to Mykonos. I will be travelling with an infant (2 months old) and a 5 year old kid with me. We are also looking for a not so expensive holiday for a relaxing time at beach with a criteria of nearness to hotel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adesh

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

Adesh, as mentioned above, Platis Gialos and Ornos are good choices for family beaches. Agios Stefanos is another.

Keep in mind that August is the most expensive time to visit Mykonos, which is one of the more expensive islands in Greece to begin with.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

hi, we did the same last year with our 2.month old girl and 3 years old boy and had a great time! stay in argos hotel, great place as it is close to the beach (5 min walk), so you can go in the morning before is too hot, then enjoy a picnic lunch in the terrace of your room, siesta time and in the afternoon pool time and finally order your dinner from his great restaurant and enjoy a nice meal while the kids are sleeping :-)

10. Re: HELP! Mikonos in July with new born :o)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 27, 2012